To finish up our week-long look at Spanish tapas, we’re featuring one of the most famous tapa of all, tortilla española! This wonderful mix of eggs, onions, and potatoes can be served hot or room temperature, cut into small squares or into larger entree-sized pieces. Serve it with a salad and you have a meal, or on a toothpick for a stand-up snack!
The recipe comes to us from our partners for our Boqueria market visit and cooking lesson, our most popular one-day cooking class in Spain. Check it out, try it at home, and let us know what you think!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cook method: Pan fry
- 4 medium potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1 onion
- Salt, to taste
- Olive oil
1. Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into quarters, and then thinly slice.
2. Cut the onions in half and thinly slice.
3. Heat a good amount of olive oil in a frying pan, then add the potatoes and cook over medium-low heat for 7-8 minutes.
4. Add the onion, and cook for 7-8 minutes more.
5. Remove from heat, strain the oil (reserving), and set the vegetables aside in a bowl.
6. Whisk the eggs and mix them into the potato and onion mixture. Add salt to taste.
7. Heat a bit of oil in the frying pan, and when it is hot add the egg mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes, using a wooden spoon to run along the edges to make sure it’s not sticking.
8. Using a plate (or the skillet cover), slide the omelette out of the pan, cooked side down, then invert quickly back into the skillet, cooked side up. Cook for another couple minutes, then slide it onto a serving plate.
Try these other amazing tapas recipes from our travels:
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best culinary trips.