Recipe for Greek Chicken Souvlaki
May 25, 2023
When summer rolls around, it is time to pull out the grill. My family loves anything cooked on the grill, and it's a lot more…Read This Post
Tapas dishes are one of the primary reasons to go to Spain as far as we are concerned. What could be better than delectable small dishes that allow you to experience a variety of flavors? From seafood to meats to vegetables, from cold dishes to hot, a tapas meal is a wonderful way to eat with friends.
Learn more about Spanish tapas.
One of our favorite tapas is Almejas con Ajo, or clams with garlic. I had the opportunity to make it during a cooking class several years ago in Catalonia. It is surprisingly easy, and very simple to replicate at home. Try it out and let us know what you think!
Taste Spanish tapas on a culinary tour of Spain.
Prep time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 3 minutes
Cook method: Sauté
1. Wash the outside of the clams in cold water to eliminate any obvious sand or debris. Soak them for an hour or two in cold water, then drain.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan or dutch oven over medium heat.
3. Add the minced garlic and sauté for a minute.
4. Add the clams all at once, and shake the pan vigorously for a few seconds. Add the white wine and cover. The clams will cook quickly (in a couple of minutes) and are done when they have opened. Do not overcook them!
5. Add the parsley and give the clams a quick stir. Serve in bowls with slices of crusty bread on the side and a glass of Spanish wine.
What’s your favorite tapas dish? Is it hot or cold? Let us know in the comments or on social media! And if you’d like to try your hand at cooking Spanish cuisine, check out our cooking vacations in Spain!
By Peg Kern
Try this recipe for a delicious chilled Spanish soup.
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.
Find more photos, videos, food facts, and travel stories from The International Kitchen on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and YouTube.