Recipe for Greek Chicken Souvlaki
May 25, 2023
When summer rolls around, it is time to pull out the grill. My family loves anything cooked on the grill, and it's a lot more…Read This Post
Our friends Chefs Sidney and Alison are full of great recipes. There is no shortage of recipes to choose from, delectable meat and fish dishes, African-inspired vegetable dishes, classic French staples, and so many desserts.
To round out our week-long focus on our Women Only Weeks (WOW), however, we’ve chosen that classic favorite of women everywhere: ice cream. Whether you call it gelato as in Italy, glace as in France, or Graeter’s as in Ohio (inside joke for our fellow Midwesterners!), ice cream is perhaps the perfect food.
This one combines the delectable creaminess of ice cream with the earthly sweetness of caramel. It’s a big hit at our house!
See all our cooking vacations in France.
Prep time: 30 minutes
1. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar, then add in the milk. Set aside.
2 .Make a brown caramel by cooking 5 oz of sugar over medium-high heat in a dry pan until brown (but not burned).
3. Deglaze the caramel with the cream, and bring to a boil, stirring vigorously, to incorporate any solid caramel.
4. Whisk the caramel into the egg mixture
5. Cook the egg mixture slowly over a double boiler to 183 degrees. Chill in an ice bath to 39 degrees, then leave covered in the refrigerator overnight.
6. Process in the ice cream maker for 20-25 minutes (or according to your ice cream maker’s instructions).
Serve it plain, with pastries, on cookies, with chocolate sauce—there’s pretty much no way to go wrong on this one!
Try a recipe for lemon sorbet.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.
Find more photos, videos, food facts, and travel stories from The International Kitchen on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, and YouTube.