Capital Culinary Adventures and Wine Tastings in Madrid
This trip is eligible for Worry-Free Booking.
If you are looking for a cooking vacation or food and wine tour of Spain, a Madrid food tour might be just the thing for you. Did you know that Madrid is not only the capital city of Spain, but also of the region surrounding it, called the Community of Madrid, as well as home to amazing gastronomy that you can explore on our gourmet Madrid wine tours or culinary vacations? Whether you want fine dining or tapas, Madrid is full of amazing food to explore, always paired with excellent wines that you can taste as part of our Madrid wine tours. Stop for a churro with rich hot chocolate, a vermouth aperitif, and some tapas, or a gourmet dinner paired with Rioja wines, and you’ll understand why Madrid is a capital of gastronomy.
Madrid is a modern city in that it has all the necessary infrastructure to support its robust tourism market, but it keeps the feel of an old-world city. It is a place of stately grandeur, incredible art, and rich gastronomy on par with that of Paris or Rome. Madrid is known for its elegant boulevards, its impeccably maintained parks, and of course its museums. It’s home to the Royal Palace, as well as the “golden triangle of art”: the Prado Museum (pre-20th-century art), the Reina Sofia (20th-century art), and the Thyssen-Bornemisza (a national collection of historical to contemporary art). You can see some of the world’s most prized masterpieces in this one city, including works by famous Spanish artists such as Pablo Picasso, Francisco Goya, Diego Velàsquez, Joan Mirò, and Salvador Dalí.
Madrid is also famously the home of the Real Madrid football club, as well as such cultural sites as the National Library, the Royal theater, the Plaza Mayor, the Puerta del Sol, El Retiro Park, and of course numerous churches. The feel of Madrid is that of vibrancy steeped in history, it has an energy about it that compares to the other great capitals of the world.
Madrid Culinary Tours Details
The region surrounding the capital city is well worth an exploration during any of our gourmet Madrid tours, olive mill visits, hands-on cooking classes featuring regional dishes such as cocido madrileño (a pork stew), bocadillos de calamares (fried squid sandwich), callos a la madrileña (a hearty stew of sausage and offal), tortilla (Spanish omelette), and more. And don’t forget the wonderful wines that you will taste on vineyards near Madrid, many of which feature such famous Spanish varietals as Granache, Tempranillo, and Syrah.
Some of the communities you can visit outside the capital city are Chinchón, San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Alcalà de Henares (birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes, author of Don Quixote), and Aranjuez, each of which offers world and cultural heritage sites of note as well as gastronomic products that make them ideal places to explore on Madrid food tours.
Experience the capital city during a Madrid food and wine tour and explore the amazing culture of one of Europe’s most fashionable and cosmopolitan cities.
- Enjoy welcome drinks followed with some free time to settle in.
- Meet your guide for a foodie walking tour of Madrid, with wonderful samples and tapas that will make up your dinner tonight.
- Breakfast, then meet head to your instructor’s home for a cooking class featuring traditional Spanish gastronomy. Lunch will follow based on your efforts, accompanied by Spanish Sangria or top Spanish wines.
- Afternoon and evening on your own.
- After breakfast at the hotel, departure on a full-day excursion to the outskirts of Madrid.
- Your first stop will be a family winery dating back some hundred years that produces fine D.O. wines. Enjoy a visit of this winery that uses ancestral wine traditions, and of course a tasting of 3 of its fine wines.
- Next, head to Chinchón, a charming medieval town known for its cluster of hilltop houses. The square is beautiful and totally characteristic of Spanish medievalism. Enjoy a wonderful lunch based on the town’s specialities, including roasted lamb or suckling pig, Castillian soup, “monk” sweets, and the local “anis.”
- After lunch visit the last of the four old olive producers in the valley of the river Tajunña. The mill dates from the end of the 18th Century, and the olive groves are just as old, and the cradle of the “cornicabra” variety of olive. Of course you will have the change to taste this fantastic oil. (Note that the if the olive grove visit is not available in the winter you will spend extra time in Chinchón.)
- Transfer back to Madrid. Dinner on your own.
- Breakfast and private transfer to the Madrid airport or train station.
Spanish Food & Wine Trips Details
Included in Our 3-Night Culinary Experiences in Madrid
3 nights accommdation in central Madrid
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 2 lunches
- 1 food tour tasting dinner
Classes & Instructors
For your 1 hands-on cooking class you have the rare pleasure of stepping out of your role as tourist and into that of an insider by venturing into the private home of your chef. You will head to the chef’s home for a lesson on Spanish gastronomy, its most representative products (olive oil, Iberian ham, and more), and of course life in Madrid. It is an experience sure to be a highlight of your trip.
- Gastronomic walking tour in Madrid
- Full-day excursion to Chinchón with winery visit and tasting, as well as olive grove visit and tasting (in season)
- Roundtrip private transfers to/from Madrid airport
- Market visit
You accommodations will be at a centrally located 4* hotel in Madrid. Depending on your dates, one of the following hotels may be proposed, or another comparable alternative.
The 4* Hotel Catalonia Puerta del Sol in Madrid is an 18th-century building in a central location and with a warm, relaxed decor. The wood-furnished rooms feature en suite bath, free WiFe, flatscreen TVs, minbar, and more. There is a breakfast buffet, a restaurant, and a bar. (When not available a comparable property will be substituted).
The 4* Hotel Catalonia Las Cortes is located in the center of town, just over a mile from the Prado Museum. The elegant rooms feature en suite baths, minibars, satellite TVs, free WiFi, and more. There is a restaurant, bar, and spa. (When not available a comparable hotel will be substituted.)
Pricing & Tour Dates for Madrid Food & Wine Tasting Vacations in Spain
See what we offer for our culinary tours and wine tasting tours in Madrid below, or contact us to design a custom gourmet tour of Madrid!
(excluding Fair Dates and Peak Weekends)
Spanish Year-Round Foodie Tours Pricing: (Excluding Fair Dates and Peak Weekends)
US$2110 per person based on double occupancy
- Add US$600 for single occupancy (use of a double room by 1 person)
A supplement of $170 per person may apply for Fair Dates or some weekends, please inquire with specific dates.
The single supplement is to offer the trip for 1 person. If there are 2 or more travelers wanting their own room, please inquire.
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
This trip is eligible for our “Worry-Free Booking” terms*, which means your deposit is fully refundable up to 31 days prior to the trip start date. Questions? Please contact us!
*See our terms & conditions for details and exclusions.
Madrid Cooking Vacations Dates
Our authentic Madrid cooking vacation is available the any dates you choose for a minimum of 1 person. (Please note weekday dates have better availability than weekends, especially in summer). Sample dates follow, please inquire.
February 28-March 3
May 30-June 2
August 29-September 1
October 31-November 3
November 28-December 1
We Can Help Plan the Best Spanish Gastronomy and Wine Experiences!
Travel to the capital city of Spain on this Madrid food tour and explore Spanish gastronomy through hands-on cooking classes and wine tastings with our fabulous gourmet tours!
Contact us for more information, or you can indicate your interest during check out and we will follow up directly!Contact Us
You May Also Like Our Other Spanish Culinary Vacations
Everything about our Spain food and wine tours exudes passion and warmth. Start exploring other gastronomic trips with International Kitchen!