Best Food Tour in Florence 2021-2022
This trip is eligible for special flexible booking terms.
Florence hardly needs an introduction, and we have what we believe is the very best food tour in Florence to be found!
Our Florence for Foodies private tours will show you the authentic side of this famous city. Florence is one of the most well-known destinations in Italy, and indeed in the world, and is one of our most popular destinations for an Italy food tour or Tuscany cooking vacation! Florence is the capital of Tuscany, the birthplace of the Renaissance, and home to wondrous architecture and masterpieces of art: Brunelleschi’s dome, Giotto’s bell tower, Botticelli’s “Venus,” Raphael’s “Madonna della Seggiola,” and Michelangelo’s “David,” just to name a few. It’s museums, including the Galleria degli Uffizi and Galleria dell’Accademia, are among the most beloved by art lovers.
The River Arno flows through the center, traversed by the famed Ponte Vecchio, which has housed shops for many centuries, and on both sides the avid culinary traveler can find shops, art galleries, restaurants, and more.
But Florence, as you will discover on our Florence for Foodies private tours, is also a town of locals for whom its famed streets, markets, and churches are a part of every day life. Florentines embrace their town’s cultural and artistic heritage, but are also proud of it as a modern-day destination for Florence wine tours and culinary vacations, with famed restaurants, bustling markets, food artisans, wine shops, and more. From your Florence cooking classes to the best wine tours in Florence Italy, our culinary travelers can discover what has made this town a top spot for Tuscany cooking vacations for decades.
Your Florence food tour will include hands-on Tuscan cooking classes, during which you will learn about and prepare delicious local recipes. It will also take you beyond its borders and into the beautiful countryside of Tuscany for Tuscany wine tours and foodie visits. You will see some of the most interesting and historic hillside towns during your Tuscany food tours, sample wine from family vineyards on our Tuscany wine tours, taste local cheeses and meats with artisanal producers, and experience the magical draw of Tuscany.
While we have designed what we think is the best food tour in Florence, we can also customize the tour to your interests, including more Florence wine tours, more hands-on Tuscan cooking classes, more art and architectural visits, and more!
Florence Food Tour Details
We think we’ve designed the best Florence food tour for our travelers. Your culinary vacation will focus plenty on food, including Florence cooking classes, but also on the culture and daily life of the Florentines. Your Florence food tour will include:
- a Florence cooking class as well as a unique Tuscan cooking class in the Chianti countryside
- Private walking tour of Florence
- Full-day visit of the Chianti area and Siena
- Food producer visits with the chefs
- Private guided bike tour from Fiesole to Florence
- Beautiful accommodations at a centrally located hotel
Order of activities subject to change based on specific dates booked.
- Arrival on your own and check in to your centrally-located hotel in Florence, home for your Florence food tour.
- Time to settle in and relax.
- Your welcome dinner tonight will be at a local restaurant within walking distance of your hotel, which boasts a superb view of the Ponte Vecchio and one of the best wine selections in town.
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- This morning, meet your licensed Florence guide for a 3-hour guided tour combining the art highlights of this amazing city with visits of local food specialty shops and markets where Florentines purchase their fresh seasonal ingredients. You will find out why Florence is a top spot for Tuscany food tours as you taste local cured meats and cheeses and learn about the Italian way of life.
- At the end of the tour your guide will drop you at the Mercato Centrale for lunch on your own. The Mercato Centrale is a place where food is “lived,” it is prepared by artisans who know it deeply and who have been preparing it generation after generation. Each store has its own workspace and makes its own specialities, making it a perfect place to discover authentic Florentine dishes at a fair price.
- Afternoon visit of the Accademia Gallery to see the famous David of Michelangelo. (The visit is not guided but includes a “skip the line” reservation. If you would like to hire an official guide these arrangements can be made in advance.)
- Dinner tonight at the Osteria Badali to taste Florentine dishes, and overnight.
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- This morning, head to a cooking atelier for your first Tuscan cooking class. (The cooking atelier is about a 15 minute walk or 5 minute taxi ride from your hotel.) You will start with a unique walking visit of local “botteghe,” or shops, to select ingredients, always a highlight of our Florence food tours. You might visit the local butcher, vegetable vendor, and cheese shop. Your Tuscany cooking class will focus on signature Tuscan recipes and will include a four-course menu.
- Lunch to follow paired with local wines.
- Afternoon free for shopping and individual explorations. You may want to visit the nearby Boboli Gardens or Palazzo Pitti Museum, or to walk through the famous Rose Garden of Florence to the Piazzale Michelangelo to watch the sunset and enjoy one of the most famous panoramic views in the world.
- Dinner on your own tonight.
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- At 9:30 am, meet your driver-guide for a full-day excursion into Chianti including a unique and authentic cooking class with a local chef. You will drive about an hour and a quarter to a local butcher shop where you will meet the wonderful Chef Andrea. Visit the shop and select your ingredients, then head to Andrea’s country house to enjoy a hands-on cooking class. This is authentic Tuscany, a place where you can take a break from the high-tech and fast-paced life at home and rediscover the slow rhythms and medieval rituals of the Tuscan countryside. Chef Andrea knows every corner of the Chianti region and will help you explore authentic Tuscan flavors.
- Lunch to follow, wine included.
- Travel on to Siena. Walk around the Piazza del Campo, where the raucous Palio horse race is held twice a year, and view the Gothic Duomo. (If you would like to arrange a walking tour with a licensed guide at an additional cost, it can be arranged ahead of time.)
- Return to Florence in the late afternoon. Dinner on your own and overnight.
- Breakfast at your hotel.
- Free morning for leisure activities. Perhaps a museum visit or some shopping. Lunch on your own.
- This afternoon you will enjoy a wonderful and unique experience! Meet your driver around 3:00 pm for the quick drive to nearby Fiesole. This charming small town has long been a favorite of Florentines. You will enjoy a leisurely, private guided biking tour from Fiesole back to Florence, including a stop along the way at the Fattoria di Poggiopiano for a guided visit of the vineyards and olive oil groves. Have a tasting of wine and olive oil with local products before continuing your ride back to Florence. Arrival at your hotel around 7:00 pm. (If you are not a fan of bicycling an alternate activity can be arranged.)
- This evening enjoy a farewell dinner at Torcicoda to end your fabulous Florence vacation with the best Florentine steak!
- Breakfast and depart on your own.
Included in the 5-Night Florence Culinary Vacation
5 nights accommodation in 3* hotel (upgrades to 4* and 5* hotels also available)
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 2 lunches
- 3 dinners
- Local product tastings as per itinerary
- Local wine included with all included meals
Classes & Instructors
Your cooking courses in Florence Italy will include:
- one of the best cooking classes in Florence Italy at a local Florence cooking school, in which you will prepare a four-course menu
- a unique and authentic Tuscan cooking class with Chef Andrea in the Chianti countryside
On request, we can include additional cooking courses in Florence Italy for those who want a more intensive cooking experience. You will also have the chance to explore the wonderful gastronomy of Florence during your private Florence foodie tours and market visit.
- 3-hour private walking tour of Florence with local products tastings
- Full-day excursion to Chianti and Siena
- “Botteghe” walk with the chef
- Butcher shop visit with Chef Andrea
- Transfer to Fiesole and private guided bike tour from Fiesole to Florence
- Transfers are not included but can be arranged for an additional cost. (But a taxi from the Florence airport to the center runs only around 25 Euros, plus baggage).
- Bike rental with helmet and insurance
- Skip the line reservation and ticket at the Galleria dell’Accademia (home to Michelangelo’s David)
- Transportation to cooking class on day 3 (about a 15-minute walk or short taxi ride)
- Overnight tourist tax (a few Euros per person per night, which must be paid locally)
About the accommodations: Your home in Florence will be a beautiful and centrally-located hotel just steps from the major sites. We can offer everything from 3* to 5* accommodations to suit your budget. (Please note if the hotels proposed below are not available we will propose a suitable alternative.)
For a 3* experience we recommend the lovely and intimate Hotel Silla (or similar), in one of our favorite neighborhoods (San Niccolò). The rooms feature classic Florentine decor and come with free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, air conditioning and minibars. There is also a large terrace facing the Arno River to further enhance your stay.
Upgrade to the 4* Grand Hotel Cavour (or similar), a beautiful hotel in a renovated Medieval palace just a block from the Duomo. The 100 elegant rooms are arranged over six floors and include en suite baths and parquet flooring. The hotel also has a beautiful rooftop terrace overlooking the Duomo.
Best Florence Food Tour Pricing & Dates
Find pricing and dates for our Florence for Foodies private tours below, or contact us for availability or to customize your trip.
Looking for tour date information?
Florence Food Tour Pricing:
5-Night Florence Tour Pricing
US$2690 per person based on double occupancy
- Add US$400 for single occupancy (use of a double room by 1 person)
- Add US$450 per person to upgrade to 4* hotel
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
This trip is eligible for special flexible booking terms*, by which your deposit is refundable up to 31 days prior to the trip start date minus a $200 cancellation fee per person. Questions? Please contact us!
*See our terms & conditions for details and exclusions.
Single supplement is at 3* hotel. Please inquire for single occupancy rate at 4* hotels.
Florence Foodie Tour in Tuscany Dates
Our Florence culinary vacations are available year round for a minimum of 2 people. Please inquire if you are a group, or if you are traveling solo.
Sample Florence for the Food Lover private tour dates follow. Please inquire for availability.
September 26-October 1
October 31-November 5
November 28-December 3
January 30-February 4
February 27-March 4
March 27-April 1
May 29-June 3
June 26-July 1
July 31-August 5
August 28-September 2
October 30-November 4
November 27-December 2