3 Reasons to Try our New Farm-to-Beach Gourmet Getaway in Greece: Plus a Recipe
One of our favorite Greek cooking vacations is our Greek Cooking Odyssey, and as part of that trip our culinary travelers head to the nearby farm of Chef Katerina, your hostess. It is a wonderful chance to experience real farm-to-table Greek cuisine including the olives and olives oil they make there.
Now you have the chance to spend a week at the farm, staying in the newly refurbished and newly built apartments or cottage – or even in a luxury tent if you prefer! Your week will be one of relaxation and camaraderie, of exploring authentic Greek cuisine during hands-on cooking classes and local product tastings, and of enjoying the blue seas and skies of Greece.
3 Reasons to Try Our Farm-to-Beach Gourmet Getaway in Greece
1) The Olive Oil
Olive oil is one of the staples of Greek cuisine, and you’ll have the chance to taste it – and cook with it – during your Greek cooking lessons with Chef Katerina, her daughter Dora, or their chef Alex. Olive oil is one of the most important parts of a Mediterranean diet, and its health benefits are well known.
2) The Beach
Head to the beach during you free time. If you’re in Greece, chances are you want to enjoy some of its thousands of miles of coastline and clear blue waters. You’ll be able to head to the beach for relaxation, fishing, paddle-boarding, kayaking, snorkeling, and more.
3) Authentic Greek Life
Just 15 minutes down the road via a lovely wooded coastal walk lies the town of Galatas. Galatas is the port town for the ferry that takes you to Poros, one of the Saronic islands, and is a charming small village. Explore the shops, restaurants, and bars during your free time and live like a local! This is your chance to enjoy authentic Greek life.
“Watching lemon trees every day is a real pleasure for me…”
– Chef Katerina
A Recipe from Chef Katerina for Lemon and Garlic Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Cook method: simmer
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 liter of water
- 1/2 lemon, cut into 4 parts and seeds removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley and lemon to garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized stock or soup pan. Add the onions, potatoes, and tomatoes, then cook until the onions are glazed.
2. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, lemon pieces, and water.
3. Boil for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through. (You could serve the soup at this stage with a bit of lemon garnish.)
4. Take the pan off the heat, let it cool slightly, and remove 3 of the lemon pieces, leaving 1. Puree the soup in a blender or using a hand-blender. Taste and season more if necessary.
5. Garnish with fresh parsley and twist of lemon.
Are you ready for an authentic Farm-to-Beach gourmet getaway in Greece?
By Peg Kern
Search our blog for more chef interviews, recipes, and destinations features.
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best culinary vacations.