June 16, 2021
One of our culinary travelers' favorite activities when they participate in our Italy cooking vacations is making cheese. This is not part of every itinerary:…Read This Post
Lemons are a huge part of Greek cooking, which you’ll discover when in Chef Katerina’s kitchen during our cooking vacation “Greek Cooking Odyssey.” Lemons are even a part of the process when making Katerina’s family’s favorite shortbread cookie recipe!
Katerina says, “My mother’s home is always full of these cookies; she makes them fresh 2 to 3 times per week. She has all different recipes for them, but this one is her favorite winter recipe. With the lemons from our land, perfect in the winter, they are full of vitamin C! Make sure the lemons are pure.”
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Cook method: Bake
1. Combine sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and olive oil. Beat well.
2. Gradually beat in the flour mixed with the salt and the baking powder. Dough should be firm but not too hard.
3. Roll the dough into balls with your hands and form different shapes. (In Greece we make ring-shapes, koulourakia).
4. Place on a greased or lined baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes, until lightly golden.
5. These overbake quickly, so it’s better to take them out a bit early if you’re unsure. Allow to cool for a bit on the baking sheet, then move to another surface to finish cooling.
Don’t eat all at once, although it’s difficult not to!
By Peg Kern
Check out more recipes from Chef Katerina, including:
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.