Since summer isn’t quite over, our new culinary vacation in Spain — Cooking in the Heart of Andalusian Olive Country — passed along this wonderful recipe! It was given to them by a close friend from the Subbetican moutain area; having been in his family for more than four generations. Maybe you can pass it along as well!
The trick is to use the best ingredients, including seasonal vegetables and high quality Spanish olive oil.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Cook method: Blend
- ¼ kg ripe (plum) tomatoes, remove cores and roughly chopped
- 1 small Spanish onion; roughly chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ¼ apple, roughly chopped
- ½ cucumber, roughly chopped
- 2-3 slices of stale bread; remove crusts, soak in water then drain
- 1 small glass of sherry vinegar
- 1 small glass of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Ingredients for the garnishes:
- One hard-boiled egg, chopped
- Finely sliced Serrano ham
- Chopped apple
1. Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor for a few seconds or until smooth.
2. Season the soup and mix well.
3. Transfer into a large Gazpacho bowl and chill for at least 12 hours. This lets the flavors meld and ripen.
4. Serve the Gazpacho in individual bowls with the garnishes. You can either serve the garnishes separately so that each person gets to choose their own, or make composed dishes to serve each person.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.