Porra (Thick Cordovan-style Gazpacho)
Since summer isn’t quite over, our new program in Spain — Cooking in the Heart of Andalusian Olive Country — passed along this wonderful recipe! It was given to them by a close friend from the Subbetican moutain area; having been in his family for more than four generations. Maybe you can pass it along as well!
* ¼ kg ripe (plum) tomatoes, remove cores and roughly chopped
* 1 green bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
* 1 small Spanish onion; roughly chopped
* 2-3 cloves garlic
* ½ cucumber, roughly chopped
* ¼ apple, roughly chopped
* 2-3 slices of stale bread; remove crusts, soak in water then drain
* 1 small glass of extra virgin olive oil
* 1 small glass of sherry vinegar
* Salt and pepper
h3. For the Garnishes
* One hard-boiled egg, chopped
* Finely sliced Serrano ham
* Chopped apple
1. Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor for a few seconds or until smooth.
2. Season the soup and mix well.
3. Transfer into a large Gazpacho bowl and chill for at least 12 hours.
4. Serve the Gazpacho with the garnishes.