Tuscan cuisine is known for its simplicity, particularly since it relies so heavily on fresh and flavorful ingredients. This is especially true in the kitchens of our Tuscany cooking vacations. Our passionate chefs are adamant about the importance of a few simple, fresh ingredients properly prepared to the the best Tuscan dishes.
No one ever goes home hungry after on one of our Tuscany cooking vacations (and probably the most common complaint is that there is too much food!).
While nothing compares to the experience of preparing – and then eating – a Tuscan meal during our Tuscany cooking vacations, you can recreate the experience with some of our favorite Tuscan recipes, including these two from Chef Claudio.
* * *
Penne with Spicy “Carrattiera” Sauce
Pasta is a must in any Italian menu, no matter what the region. This penne alla carrattiera dish is perfect for August when tomatoes are ripe and in season.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Cook method: Sauté, Boil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 small whole dried red peppers
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Bunch of parsley
- 8 tbsp peeled crushed tomato
- 400 grams penne pasta
1. Mince together the garlic, parsley, and dried red peppers, and then sauté in oil.
2. Add the crushed tomato, and salt to taste. Cook about 3 minutes.
3. Add the pasta (which has been cooked in salted water). Toss together.
Another recipe that highlights the simplicity of Tuscan cuisine is Claudio’s frittata di cipolle (onion fritatta). This dish can serve 4 people and either be a part of breakfast or a starter to lunch or dinner.
- 4 eggs
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Slice the onion thinly, and sautée until the onion is transparent.
2. Beat the eggs together with the salt.
3. Add the eggs to the onions and cook at low heat.
* * *
Looking for more Tuscany cooking vacation recipes? Search for recipes our blog! But again, while these recipes will give you the directions and ingredients to make classic Italian dishes, they’re all missing a special something without making them in Tuscany!
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.