August 3, 2021
Today is National Watermelon Day, and in honor of one of our favorite summer foods we're featuring five amazing ways to use this summer staple.…Read This Post
Originally featured as the March recipe of the month in 2011, this recipe comes to us from Vespasia Restaurant in Norcia, Umbria. The restaurant’s chef gives classic Umbrian recipes a modern and delicious touch, and incorporates some of the region’s most iconic ingredients, including sheep’s milk ricotta, black truffle, and Castelluccio lentils.
For more about our Norcia cooking vacation, check out our A Food Lover’s Paradise in Norcia or Cooking and Walking in Umbria. Both of these fabulous culinary tours take place in the beautiful town of Norcia, Italy, at a gorgeous Relais & Chateau hotel and its Michelin-star restaurant.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Cook method: Simmer
1) Soak the lentils for ten hours, drain and simmer for 10 minutes in water without salt.
2) Dice celery and onion, and roast with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil.
3) Add blanched lentils, cover with stock, roasting for 30 more minutes.
4) Mix and sieve until the mixture develops a smooth, creamy texture, keep warm. Set aside.
5) Strain the ricotta and mix with flour. Grate the truffle. Stir over low heat, adding the extra virgin olive oil and salt. The add a spoonful of warm water and mix until it has the consistency of a soft cream.
6) Add grated truffle and serve over the lentil soup. Finish with slices of black truffle.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.