August 3, 2021
Today is National Watermelon Day, and in honor of one of our favorite summer foods we're featuring five amazing ways to use this summer staple.…Read This Post
One of the simplest but more important of recipes, a basic vinaigrette lends itself to all manner of dishes, including of course salads, fish, meat, and other vegetables. Chef Mark Haskell of our new cooking vacation Cuisine and Culture of Provence shares his basic vinaigrette recipe with us, and gives us an alternative with an Asian flair!
1. Stir the shallots or garlic together with the mustard and salt.
2. Whisk in the lemon juice and vinegar, and when blended start slowly whisking in the oil, making a smooth emulsion.
3. Add the freshly ground pepper and taste (not on its own, on a bit of lettuce or other vegetable).
4. Correct the seasoning as needed with salt and pepper, and/or a bit of lemon juice.
How to use these wonderful vinaigrettes? Chef Mark recommends the following options:
1. Asian Salad/Slaw: shredded carrots, scallions, cabbage, green papaya, sweet peppers, jicama, cucumbers.
2. Salad of Potato & Pickled Onion: poached & sliced potato, fresh herbs, pickled red onion, pickles or capers, and vinaigrette.
3. Warm Salad of Green Lentils: cooked green (le Puy) lentils, diced carrots, leeks, turnips, peppers, heated with vinaigrette.
Interested in cooking with Chef Mark in sunny Provence? check out our week-long Cuisine and Culture of Provence cooking vacation.
Try another recipe from chef Mark for Duck and Andouille Gumbo.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.