Rhone Alps France Cooking Vacation
This trip is eligible for our Worry-Free Booking promotion.
Selected by Le Figaro magazine as one of ‘les plus belles chambres d’hotes’ (the best b&bs) in all of France.
Enjoy a luxurious six-night exclusive Savoyard French cooking vacation at a lovingly restored chalet located in the heart of the French Alps, just south of Switzerland’s Lake Geneva and with roads leading into Italy. The Savoie has long attracted visitors not only for its unforgettable scenery of dramatic mountain peaks and lush, green valleys but also for its rich and unique French culinary dishes that are, in part, inspired by Italy.
The dishes you will learn to prepare during this France cooking vacation feature a host of local foods, from cheese to mushrooms, potatoes, and apples. The Savoie even has its own pasta: Les Crozets, which is made with buckwheat flour. Your instructor and hostess loves teaching local and classic French dishes in a relaxed and fun atmosphere.
Whichever season you choose to visit during your cooking vacation in France, the colors, clean air, abundance of flora and fauna, and unrivaled seasonal produce of the region will leave you wanting to come back for more.
France Cooking Vacation Highlights
Undoubtedly, one of the highlights of your France cooking vacation in the French Alps will be the hands-on cooking classes with your host. She will introduce you to local and classical French fare and tailor the lessons to your specific skill set. But your France cooking vacation will also include:
- charming accommodations at a beautiful mountain chalet
- a market visit to explore the local products
- a walking tour to explore the local villages
- an excursion to Annecy, the beautiful lake town of the Alps
- meals as indicated
- and more!
Cooking in the French Alps Culinary Tour Itinerary
- Arrival transfer from Geneva or Lyon airports, or Albertville or Chambery train station.
- Upon checking into he chalet, Nikki and her husband Hugh will show you around and help you settle in. If you’re arriving early in the day, a lunch and afternoon tea and cake will be served.
- Nikki and Hugh will start your France cooking vacation by inviting you into their private bar for a welcome drink and to have a chat about the following days ahead and this wonderful region of France. Next, they will serve a very traditional Savoyard meal. – Tarte aux tomatoes roties et thyme de montagne, Tartiflette, Green salad, Peche poaches, vervain et vanille.
- Breakfast will be served in the vaulted dining room.
- In the morning, begin your first cooking class, which will focus on the preparation of a traditional Savoyard lunch. During class, Nikki will explain how the local history and traditions are linked to the local produce.
- Lunch to follow based on your efforts. Sample lunch menu : Comte
souffle, salad de tomate, tarte aux myrtilles.
- In the afternoon, put on your walking boots and take a leisurely look at the three surrounding villages, the history of the area, and how they operated as a community back in the 1700’s. You will meet a few farmers and taste some local cheeses. (Or if you prefer, you can rest, read, and enjoy the scenery from one of the many lounges dotted around the property.)
- Return to the chalet to relax before pre dinner drinks and dinner is served with a selection of Rhone wines. Sample dinner menu: Tatin d’endives et tomme de chèvre, Poulet fermier aux champignons et creme fraiche, creme caramel.
- After breakfast, drive to the valley floor (about 20 minutes) to visit a local farmers market to source and purchase the fresh ingredients for the evening cookery class. During this visit, Nikki will take you around the market to sample and enjoy the local produce, to choose together a selection of wine and seasonal food items for the following days picnic hamper.
- Enjoy a lovely farm to table meal in a local restaurant together (drinks not included).
- In the afternoon, take part in your second cooking class, where you’ll make dinner using ingredients from the market. Five-course sample menu: Amuse-bouche feuilletes, Tartare de tomato, Tart epinards et chèvre Sainte-Maure, Filet de cabillaud en papillote, Salade aux 5 perfume, Choux jasmin – framboise.
- Pre dinner drinks and nibbles on the terrace or at the bar (weather depending) – then dinner based on your efforts, during which you will learn more about the local Rhone wines.
- Spend the morning in your next cooking class preparing the food for
your dinner. Sample menu: Gateau de Savoie, Soupe a l’oignon, Diots
au vin blanc, gratin de crozet, Tarte tatin, soda bread, biscuit sale.
- Lunch is a beautiful and easy walk into the forest where you will find a
magical table set overlooking the Alps – by foot in summer or snow
shoes in winter. Eat, relax, read, and take in the jaw dropping views.
- This evening, enjoy pre-dinner drinks, followed by a three course meal and local wine, served downstairs in the vaulted dining hall under the chandelier.
- After breakfast, your France cooking vacation will take you on a picturesque journey to the unforgettably beautiful and historic mountain lake town of Annecy, about 90 minutes away. A real jewel of the Alps, Annecy delivers on all fronts: breathtaking scenery, quality shops, gourmet restaurants, as well as quaint streets, buildings, and a castle dating back to the 12th century.
- You will have the day to explore, shop, and choose your own restaurant for lunch on your own.
- Meet back together at 4.00pm.
- After returning to the chalet, enjoy an aperitif together before Nikki serves you dinner.
- After breakfast, you will meet in the kitchen for your final hands on cookery class during your France cooking vacation. Have fun while creating a variety of lovely local dishes using many of the cheeses from the region.
- Lunch together, discussing everything you have learned.
- Free time in the afternoon to relax and pack before your farewell dinner.
- Breakfast followed by check out by 11 am.
- Return transfer to Geneva or Lyon airports or the Albertville or Charmbery train stations.
French Alps Cooking Vacation Trip Details
Included in the 6-Night France Cooking Vacation
6 nights accommodation in double or double twin room
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 4 lunches
- 6 dinners
- Local wine, water, and coffee with all meals served at the chalet
Classes & Instructors
Your 4 cooking sessions during your France cooking vacation will be with host Nikki, who was born in Melbourne, Australia, and who has always had a passion for food, wine, and rustic architecture. After her stint at Hotel & Catering College, she left for Europe in search of a new dream. This took her to many exciting places, allowing her to gather a multitude of culinary experiences along the way, from cooking on Super yachts to cheffing in private villas and running a handful of hotels. Eventually Nikki settled in the Savoie region where she has been part of the community ever since. Nikki enjoys nothing more than sharing her knowledge of 30 years of living and cooking her way around France.
In your hands-on classes that take place in the chalet’s cookery kitchen, Nikki promotes a relaxed atmosphere where she will build your confidence and knowledge based on your skill set, whether your want to learn fundamental culinary techniques or recipes that require a higher level of technical skills. Nikki has a talent for taking the traditional food of the region, and often likes to give those recipes a slight twist. Most of all, you will laugh, learn and prepare exceptional dishes in a stress free environment, a magical experience overlooking the French Alps.
- Walking tour of the area with your hosts to visit three local villages
- Market visit
- Forest picnic lunch (weather permitting)
- Excursion to Annecy
- Round-trip transfers to/from Geneva or Lyon airports, or Chambéry Challes Les Eaux or Albertville train stations.
- Drinks during meals out (lunches days 3 & 5)
This alpine chalet retreat was once an old barn, until it was renovated into a luxurious boutique property by husband and wife Hugh and Nikki. In addition to the cooking school, lounge area, formal dining room, and guests’ private farmhouse kitchen, there are three bedrooms decorated in a Savoyard style featuring modern amenities, including plasma satellite TV, Netflix, surround sound, and free WiFi.
Pricing & Tour Dates for our France Cooking Vacation
Find pricing and dates for our culinary vacations in the French Alps below, and contact us for availability or to book your trip.
French Alps Cooking Vacation Pricing:
6-Night Cooking Vacation Pricing
US$3650 per person based on double occupancy
- Add US$500 for single occupancy (use of a double room by 1 person)
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
This trip is eligible for our “Worry-Free Booking” promotion*, which means your deposit is refundable minus a $200 per person penalty up to 60 days prior to the trip start date.
Balance payment due 60 days prior to tour start date. Questions? Please contact us!
The purchase of travel insurance is strongly encouraged, even if the package you are purchasing is Worry Free Booking eligible.
*See our terms & conditions for details and exclusions.
French Alps Cooking Vacation Tour Dates
Our Cooking in the French Alps French culinary vacations are available any week for a minimum of one person. Please inquire with specific dates for availability.
Available during the following periods:
January 23-February 1
September 24-30 – special week with Dorothy Tague (please inquire)