August 3, 2021
Today is National Watermelon Day, and in honor of one of our favorite summer foods we're featuring five amazing ways to use this summer staple.…Read This Post
What is better on a February evening than a wonderful duck or goose breast served with a warm Bordeaux wine sauce? Our Bordeaux cooking vacations will let you enjoy this dish and more while you explore one of France’s most loved food and wine regions. You can try this recipe at home (served with excellent French wines) or learn it during a cooking vacation in France.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Cook method: Saute
1. Heat goose or duck fat in a large frying pan, add minced shallots and cook them very gently to melt (about 15 minutes).
2. Add the wine, green peppercorns, honey and salt and let it cook and reduce slowly (about 30 minutes).
3. Add two or three Tbsp heavy cream and taste the seasoning.
4. Score the fat of the breasts, and put them fat-side down in a very hot frying pan. Then lower heat .
5. Remove the melted fat two or three times during while cooking 10-12 minutes on this side.
6. Turn and cook on the other side 10 minutes more. Duck and goose breasts are best served medium rare, sliced and served with hot sauce.
7. Serve with an excellent Bordeaux, such as the Château Bujan grand vin de Bordeaux, Côtes de Bourg appellation controlée.
You can learn more about classic French dishes on a cooking vacation in France. If you are interested in other recipes featuring duck, check out our recipes for duck confit or duck and andouille gumbo.
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.