Nothing beats the amazing flavor of fresh pasta — except when it’s combined with seasonal flavors. This traditional Italian dish, stuffed ravioli with artichoke sauce, is perfect for a Spring-time dinner, and hails from A Classic Tuscan Table, just 25 minutes outside of Florence in the pristine Tuscan countryside.
Of course, the best way to learn this Tuscan dish is on a cooking vacation to Tuscany! But you can also make it at home by following this simple recipe.
Artichoke-Stuffed Ravioli (Ravioli Ripieni di Carciofi)
Prep time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 3 minutes
Cook method: Boil
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 artichokes
- 7 oz milk
- 2 oz butter
- olive oil as needed
- 1 clove garlic
- salt to taste
- 3/4 oz grated parmesan cheese
1. Prepare the pasta dough with 1.5 cups of flour, forming a well in the center of the table.
2. Add the eggs and pinch the ingredients together with your hands to form a dough. Knead for a few minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
3. When you have the desired consistency, allow the dough to rest covered for about 1/2 hour on the kitchen counter.
4. Brown the garlic in a pan with a good amount of olive oil.
5. Eliminate the garlic from the pan and then add the artichoke cut in small pieces.
6. Add salt as desired and sauté for a few minutes.
7. Add milk and a roux made with 1/4 cup of flour and 1 oz of butter. With a whisk slowly blend the mixture in order to obtain a very dense cream.
8. Extend the pasta on a work table and work with a rolling pin until the dough is the correct consistency.
9. Lay the pasta across a lightly floured ravioli former.
10. Place about 1 1/2 teaspoon of filling in each compartment on the press.
11. Using a small brush, paint a little water along the edges of each of the ravioli. Place another sheet of pasta on top and pat down lightly.
12. Run a rolling pin over the press to cut the ravioli.
13. Remove the ravioli and continue until the dough and filling is finished.
14. Boil the ravioli in light salted water for about 3 minutes. Drain.
15. A nice sauce for the ravioli is 1 oz butter, a bit of the pasta water, and Parmesan cheese.
Check out another recipe featuring artichokes: French Artichokes in Barigoule sauce.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.