Artichauts en Barigoule (Artichokes in “Barigoule” Sauce)
Enjoy this wonderful recipe from sunny, beautiful Provence. Artichokes are a popular springtime vegetable in Provence, and this is one of the most traditional French preparations. You can make it at home or experience it yourself on one of our fabulous culinary vacations in France!
Artichauts en Barigoule
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cook method: Simmer
- 4 small artichokes
- fresh thyme and bay leaves
- 20 g smoked bacon (about ¾ ounce)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 20cl white wine (about 1 cup)
- clear chicken broth (“Bouillon de poule”)
- 2 carrots
- ½ onion
- 1 clove of garlic
1. Remove the first leaves of the artichokes, cut the top, remove all the green from the bottom.
2. Rub the artichokes with lemon and put into lemon water to avoid them becoming dark.
3. Cut the bacon and onion into very fine slices.
4. Peal the carrots and cut them in slices.
5. Heat the olive oil in a shallow frying pan, sauté the onion and bacon without letting them become brown.
6. Add the artichokes, herbs, and carrots, then cover with the white wine and enough clear broth to cover.
7. Cook, covered, for about 20 minutes.
You can serve these as a side dish or with some fabulous French bread for a surprisingly hearty and delicious meal.
You can find many variations of this recipe, some of which include additional ingredients such as mushrooms or additional vegetables – so let your imagination run wild!
Try another great artichoke recipe from France.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations in France.