Custom Private Costa Brava Culinary Vacation Sept 18-23, 2024
As one of the most distinct and well-preserved regional cultures in Europe, Catalonia has much to offer its visitors: authentic local festivals and markets, age-old traditions of music, food, and crafts, and a wealth of historical and artistic sites, including the famed buildings of the early twentieth-century Modernisme architects. Whether you are strolling down Barcelona’s Ramblas boulevard, tasting delicious tapas at a local restaurant, exploring the many Gothic towns and local markets, or enjoying a glass of sparkling Cava wine, Catalonia will enchant and delight you, and draw you back again and again.
Your Catalonia cooking vacation will be based in the Empordá region, nestled along the coastline of the larger region of Catalonia in the northeastern part of the country and bordering France. It is a land of interesting contrasts. Here is where the surrealist art movement was born, but here is where fishermen have plied their trade (and still do) for centuries in the small fishing villages of the coast. There are prehistoric caves and megalithic structures, settlements by the ancient Greeks and ancient Iberians, Roman ruins, and more.
Girona is the main city of the region, a beautiful ancient town lying on a confluence of four rivers, and boasting a wonderfully preserved city center. It is so picturesque that it has been a frequent location for film production, including the Game of Thrones series. But the area is also known for its picturesque, quaint fishing villages, which you will explore on your Costa Brava culinary vacation.
The Costa Brava’s miles of rugged coastline and beautiful beaches, coupled with the ideal climate, have made it a very popular tourist destination for Spaniards and other Europeans. This is the Mediterranean as you have always imagined it. Sunny, warm, gorgeous, and of course full of Mediterranean flavors and ingredients. Visit the region’s olive groves and wineries, see the catch brought in by the fisherman at the end of the day, and learn to prepare amazing Spanish dishes under the friendly eye of the local chefs.
Catalonian Cooking Vacations Details
Your private culinary vacation will include Seaview accommodations on the Costa Brava, hands-on cooking classes, cultural and food excursions, and more…
Day One – Wednesday, September 18
- Morning transfer from your hotel in Barcelona to the Empordá region.
- Meet your driver and guide at your hotel and drive to Palamos to experience your first cooking class in the school of the Fishing Museum. Lunch to follow based on your efforts.
- After lunch, transfer to the beautiful and charming four-star Park Hotel San Jorge, well known for its unique design and beautiful surroundings. Check in to your sea-view rooms. This is an ideal place to relax and enjoy a magical ambiance and taste superb Mediterranean dishes.
- Enjoy some free time, perhaps a stroll on the beach.
- Welcome dinner in the hotel restaurant tonight (drinks not included).
Day Two – Thursday, September 19
- Following a full breakfast, you will visit the open market of Palafrugell and its lovely town by the sea to learn about the fresh produce of the region.
- Continue to the fishing village of LLafranc, where you will enjoy a lovely seaside walk along a beautiful pine grove. At the top of the hill, you can enjoy a breathtaking panoramic view of the Mediterranean sea.
- Head around 12:00 noon to your next cooking class at the Fishing Museum in Palamós, with a late lunch to follow.
- Around 4:30 p.m., experience a guided visit to the “Lonja” to welcome boats coming back from a hard day of work and to see where the fresh fish of the day are sold.
- Then, visit the exhibits at the Fishing Museum to learn about fishing methods, modern and ancient ones, as well as fish specialties and catches particular to the local waters.
- End the day with an excursion to the nearby medieval village of Pals. Your guide will take you through the town’s cobblestone streets and amazing walled village.
- Return to your hotel and dinner on your own this evening.
Day Three – Friday, September 20
- Following breakfast, around 10am, you will embark on a full day excursion to the ancient city of Girona, with its narrow medieval streets, Jewish quarter, Arab baths, and 15th century Gothic cathedral.
- Enjoy a walking tapas and cultural tour. You will see the cathedral, Jewish quarter, and Arab baths while you sample local foods for lunch. You will also enjoy an amazing ice cream by 3-starred Michelin chef Jordi Roca 3.
- Return to the hotel in the afternoon for free time to relax and enjoy the facilities.
- Dinner on your own tonight.
Day Four – Saturday, September 21
- Following breakfast, your guide will meet you for a full day food tour of Catalonia.
- First stop is a dairy farm where you will tour the farm, see the way they produce cheese, and participate in making curd. Enjoy a tasting of various dairy products at the end.
- Stop at a gourmet shop and restaurant, where you will be able to have lunch on your own (if you are still hungry).
- This afternoon, visit a local Catalonian winemaker to see their production and have a tasting.
- Return to the hotel about 6:00pm. Dinner on your own tonight.
Day Five – Sunday, September 22
- Breakfast at your hotel.
- Today, experience a fabulous boat excursion from the fishing town of Roses to Cadaques. Sailing time 1-hour from Roses to Cadaques. Disembark in Cadaques to enjoy this picturesque seaside village and have time for lunch before sailing 1-hour back to Roses. (5 hours total activity time)
- Late in the afternoon return to the hotel for dinner (drinks not included).
Day Six – Monday, September 23
- Savor your last Mediterranean breakfast.
- Transfer to Barcelona airport.
Included in Your Custom 5-Night Culinary Tour in Catalonia
5 nights in a double room with sea views at a 4* hotel on the Costa Brava
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- Three lunches (beverages included)
- Two dinners (beverages paid locally)
Classes & Instructors
Your two cooking classes will be at the school of the Fishing Museum in Palamós.
- Market visit
- Visit to the fishing museum
- Visit to the ‘Lonja’ to see the fishermen return to the wharf
- Visit to winery with wine tasting
- Visit of Girona
- Visits to Pals, Palafrugell, and LLafranc
- Visit of a dairy producer with tasting
- Boat excursion on day 4
- Morning arrival transfer from Barcelona
- Return transfer to the Barcelona airport as per itinerary
- Local tourist tax (a few Euros per person per night), payable locally
- Meals not indicated
Situated in Costa Brava and surrounded by pine trees, the Park Hotel San Jorge, features elegant rooms with modern amenities, including free Wi-Fi, TV, desk, minibar, air-conditioning, heating, safe deposit, hair dryer, and phone. As for the property, enjoy a view of the sea while dining on traditional Catalan cuisine, relax in the spa’s infinity pool and sauna, or head outside to the terrace and outdoor pool. The hotel also has access to a number of local coves.
Pricing & Tour Dates
US$3615 per person based on double occupancy
- Add US$345 for single occupancy (use of a double room by 1 person)
Based on a minimum of 5 participants.
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
Balance payment due 60 days prior to tour start date. Questions? Please contact us!
7 – 8 people, $3260
9 – 10 people, $2960
Custom Catalonia Tour Dates
Proposed for O.C. O’Connell and Erin Denham and friends, September 18-24, 2024.
There are no reviews at this time.
We Can Help Plan It All
Flights, additional nights and tours, Transportation, and Much More…
We might not be able to pack for you, but there are tons of things we can help with to make your vacation that much better.
Contact us for more information, or you can indicate your interest during check out and we will follow up directly!