June 16, 2021
One of our culinary travelers' favorite activities when they participate in our Italy cooking vacations is making cheese. This is not part of every itinerary:…Read This Post
We love baking in our house, and when we discovered this tasty meringue dessert watching an episode of Britain’s Best Home Cook we knew we knew we had to try it. I think it’s originally a Mary Berry recipe, but we’ve adapted it slightly based on the ingredients we had at hand – and in the end only needed 5 ingredients to make it!
The advantage of a meringue roulade is you could really fill it with almost anything you want! Don’t eat dairy? Try a non-dairy filling. Don’t like strawberries? Use a different fruit!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Cook method: Bake
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prep a swiss roll baking sheet by greasing and lining with parchment paper.
2. Make the meringue by whisking the eggs whites with an electric mixer on high until quite stiff. Add the sugar 1 Tbsp at a time, keeping the mixer on high, and keep whisking until the sugar has all been added and the mixture is stiff and glossy.
3. Spread the meringue in the lined time, smoothing it as flat as you can, and sprinkle with the almonds. Bake for about 8 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 300 degrees. Bake for about 18 minutes more, until firm to the touch.
4. Remove from the oven and turn out almond-side down onto a sheet of baking paper. Remove the paper from the (now) top side and let cool for 10 minutes.
5. Whip the cream to firm, but not too firm. Spread evenly over the mixture.
6. Spread the strawberries on top of the whipped cream. Then, roll the meringue firmly, using the paper to help you. Roll the roulade from the shorter end, so that you get more of a swirl in the center, and roll it tightly. Wrap it in parchment paper and chill to set.
7. Slice it to serve. If you like, you can dust it with confectioner’s sugar or drizzle it with a strawberry compote.
By Peg Kern
Try more of these fabulous dessert recipes:
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.