Provence Culinary Vacations
Avignon is a city famous for its history, and not just because its often referred to as the “City of Popes,” and it is one of the best destinations for our Provence culinary vacations. This city on the Rhone is one of the few places in France to preserve much of its historical center, ramparts around the city, picturesque bridges, and buildings such as the impressive Popes’ Palace. Whether exploring the ancient cobblestone streets on foot or by bus, Avignon’s charm and friendly atmosphere is everywhere, from beautiful private mansions hailing from the 18th and 19th centuries to its many parks and gardens.
Avignon, too, is the center of Provencal food. With the oldest covered market in the city, Les Halles, along with cooking classes, visitors can discover Provencal specialties and local products on our Provence food and wine tours, such as honey, nougat, chocolates, olive oils AOC, Côte du Rhône wines, and so much more. With its central location, Avignon is the perfect place to discover the surrounding Provencal countryside on an authentic Provence France cooking tour, including the Luberon mountains with their breathtaking views, Roussillon’s unique ochre landscape, and small villages like Chateauneuf du Pape that you can explore on a Provence wine tour with wine tasting.
Highlights of our Provence Culinary Vacations
Explore the beautiful south of France on our Provence culinary vacations based in the charming town of Avignon. Your week will include a variety of cooking classes exploring Provencal cuisine as well as Provencal wine tastings and cultural excursions.
- Private transfer from Avignon TGV station to your hotel.
- Check-in to your 4-star hotel in central Avignon.
- Welcome dinner tonight (beverages included).
- Meet your driver at your hotel this morning and depart on a private wine tour dedicated to Provencal wines. Start on a scenic drive to the foot of Mont Ventoux through the vineyards of the eponymous appellation. Discover an outstanding wine estate and enjoy a guided tour.
- Your Provence wine tasting will engage all five senses as you taste a variety of wines (4 or 5).
- After the Provence wine tasting, a picnic lunch on the terrace will follow (weather permitting). Taste seasonal products with wines of the domain.
- Return to Avignon.
- Dinner on your own.
- After breakfast, meet in central Avignon and depart for a full-day tour with an English speaking driver/guide on a shared mini-bus (max 8 people). First stop will be the Luberon hill range and picturesque villages, including Roussilon with its ochre cliffs, and a quick stop in Gordes, completely built with dry stones called ‘lauze’.
- Next stop is Fontaine de Vaucluse, where you will see the cave from which emerges the River Sorgues.
- Free time for lunch on your own.
- After lunch it is on to the Unesco-rated Pont du Gard, which is the best preserved part of a Roman aqueduct that sent the water from Nimes to Uzes during the Roman civilization. From there head to Les Baux de Provence, a medieval hilltop village in the heart of the Alpilles hill range.
- Return to Avignon, stopping for a quick look at the Antiques (Triumphal Roman arch and mausoleum), located in a olive field near Saint-Remy-de-Provence.
- Dinner on your own. Overnight.
- In the morning, meet again in central Avignon and take a half-day tour on a shared minibus with an English-speaking driver/guide to Orange and Chateauneuf du Pape (max 8 people). During your Provence wine tour you will have two wine tastings in Chateauneuf du Pape wineries.
- Return to Avignon around 1:30 pm, lunch on your own.
- In the late afternoon, take part in a cooking class in a charming Avignon restaurant. During the apéritif, you’ll also learn how to pair wines with your meal. Dinner to follow based on your efforts, drinks included.
- In the morning, meet your driver at your hotel and depart for a cooking class with a local chef in the Alpilles area.
- Lunch to follow based on your efforts.
- In the afternoon, head to Villeneuve les Avignon, where you will visit an olive mill and have a tasting.
- Return to Avignon and dinner on your own.
- After visiting the market with a chef, begin your next cooking class in his professional kitchen. Lunch to follow, drinks included, based on your efforts.
- In the afternoon, time to explore Avignon one last time. Entrance tickets to 2 of Avignon’s most famous sites, the Popes’ Palace and the Pont d’Avignon, will be included for you to explore at your own pace.
- End the afternoon with a wine tasting at a wine shop.
- Dinner on your own and overnight in Avignon.
- Check-out of the hotel and return to the Avignon TGV train station.
Discover Provence Cooking Vacations - Trip Details
Included in our 6-Night Provence Culinary Tours
Your Provence cooking vacation includes 6 nights in 4* hotel in the center of Avignon.
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 3 lunches, local wine included
- 2 dinners, local wine included
Classes & Instructors
Your 3 hands-on cooking classes will take place in a variety of kitchens throughout central Avignon and the Provencal countryside so you’ll discover all the different facets of the local cuisine. Visit Les Halles, a traditional Provencal food market full of farm products including vegetables, fruit, cheeses, honey, wines, flowers, and poultry, and learn how to create traditional Provencal cuisine. You’ll also visit a charming restaurant and discover how to pair wines with your meals as you learn from the chef, who is passionate about using local flavors.
- Private tour of the Mont Ventoux wine producing region with tastings
- Shared tour of the Luberon (max 8 people), including the Pont du Gard, and the Alpilles region
- Half-day shared tour (max 8 people) to the Chateauneuf du Pape region, including Provence wine tour with tasting
- Private tour on day Five to the Alpilles region
- Visit of olive mill in Villeneuve les Avignon
- Round-trip transfers to/from Avignon TGV train station. (Transfers to/from Marseille airport available for an additional price).
- Tickets for the Popes’ Palace
- Local tourist tax (a couple Euros per person per night, paid locally)
Located in central Avignon, just steps from Popes’ Palace and numerous cafes and shops, is the Hotel de L’Horloge. Once a 19th-century house, this hotel now offers 66 modern, cozy rooms with individual a/c and heat, free Wi-Fi, mini-bar, safe, telephone, and satellite TV. (If unavailable a comparable property will be proposed.)
Provence France Culinary Vacation: Pricing & Dates
Find pricing and dates for our Provence culinary tours below, and contact us for availability or to book your trip.
6-Night Provence Culinary Vacation Pricing
US$3550 per person based on double occupancy
- Add US$600 for single occupancy (use of a double room by 1 person)
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
Balance payment due 60 days prior to tour start date. Questions? Please contact us!
July pricing and availability: please inquire.
Single occupancy pricing: please inquire.
Transfer also possible from Marseille airport: please inquire for cost.
Our Discover Provence culinary vacations are available year round for 1-8 people. Sample dates follow, but other start dates are also possible. (Please inquire for July dates and pricing.)
Sample weeks, other start dates also possible:
January 30- February 5
February 27-March 5
March 27-April 2
May 29-June 4
June 26-July 2
July 31-August 6
August 28-September 3
September 25-October 1
October 30-November 5
November 27-December 3