Tuscany Wine Tasting Tour on The Western Coast: Truly Tuscany
Imagine a world where wine is not just something that goes with occasions, but instead it's an essential part of life. That’s why we want you to embark on our Tuscany's western coast wine tasting trip for your taste buds and enjoy some fine wines! Embark on our Etruscan coast wine trip!
Best Tuscany's Western Coast Winery Vacations
Tuscany is a land well known for its rolling hills and vineyards, and the western coast is home to some of our best wine tasting tours in Tuscany. The western part of the province may be lesser known, but it’s no less beautiful between its sprawling wine estates, hilltop towns, and miles of sandy coastline along the crystal-clear Tyrrhenian Sea.
This western coast, known also as the Etruscan coast, is most famous for its Super Tuscan wines, which you will experience on our Toscana wine tours during your fabulous adventure.
The wine production of western Tuscany began shortly after World War II when an Italian aristocrat decided to experiment with Bordeaux varieties and use French winemaking practices. With the land’s rich soil and the sunny maritime climate, the wines quickly took off, and by the 1970s they were renowned around the world and considered on par with – if not better than – French Bordeaux wines. For Italians and Europeans, this part of Tuscany is a necessary stop on any wine tasting tours on the western coast.
Nestled among these Bolgheri vineyards and near the Etruscan coast is the hamlet of Castagneto Carducci, just about 60 miles from Florence. Castagneto Carducci was named after the poet Giosué Carducci, and today the town continues to inspire artists and writers with the way the natural landscape seamlessly intertwines with the charming medieval town.
Stay five nights in the stunning region in a lovely boutique hotel while exploring Tuscany foods with a local chef and Tuscan wines on your Tuscany winery vacations.
This is “truly Tuscany,” and one of our favorite itineraries: a slice of authentic Tuscan life!
Tuscany Winery Tour Details
As one of our top Tuscan wine trips, there is a big focus on Tuscan and Italian wines during your Tuscany food and wine vacations. But your foodie trip will also include:
- a hands-on cooking class
- wine tastings in Tuscany at several different local vineyards
- a visit to Volterra including private tour
- accommodations at a small villa hotel
- transfers and transportation
- meals as per the itinerary
Here is what you can expect during our wine tours along the Tuscan’s western coast, but keep in mind we can always customize our Tuscany wine tastings as well. We can add extra nights, additional cooking classes and wine tastings, and more! Contact us to get started.
- Arrive at Pisa airport and transfer to the medieval hamlet of Castagneto Carducci, home for our western Tuscany wine tours. Check in to your accommodations.
- After check in you may wish to take a stroll into town.
- Enjoy a welcome dinner at il Vecchio Frantoio restaurant, only a couple of steps from the Villa Luci or a 15 minute walk from the Relais dei Molini. A perfect start to your food and wine tour of Tuscany!
- In the morning, meet your driving guide for the first of your private full-day wine tasting tours in Tuscany. First, stop at Podere Sapaio — a 40 hectare vineyard and olive grove where they produce Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Merlot wines — for a guided winery visit and Tuscany wine tasting of Volpolo and Sapaio wines.
- Next, it’s on to the colorful village of Bolgheri. Lunch at the Enoteca Tognoni.
- In the afternoon, continue to the second of your wine tasting tours in Tuscany and visit Petra winery, a 300-hectare seaside estate designed by architect Mario Botta. After the Tuscan wine tasting, take a walk into the medieval village of Suvereto and its fascinating hamlet.
- Return to the hotel. Dinner on your own. There are several restaurants within walking distance of your accommodations.
- Following breakfast, around 9:15AM, transfer to the Bolgheri countryside for a private cooking class with Chef Chicca. You will prepares an authentic Tuscan meal from fresh pasta through dessert, and then enjoy it for lunch.
- In the afternoon, return to the hotel and have a free afternoon to relax or enjoy some time in town.
- Dinner on your own in the village.
- In the morning, continue with your Tuscany wine tours, departing around 11:00 AM for 2 prestigious wineries of the area. First stop is the Terre del Marchesato wine estate, where you will have a guided tour and tasting and a light lunch.
- In the afternoon, transfer to the Tenuta Argentiera winery where you will enjoy a guided visit, one of our favorite experiences on our Tuscany wine tours. After a drive among the wine rows, you’ll reach the top of the hill, which overlooks the estate’s vineyards as well as the Tyrrhenian Sea. The tour concludes with a stop in the wine cellars for a wine tasting.
- Return to your accommodation.
- Dinner on your own in town.
- Breakfast, then depart around 9:30 AM for a private excursion to Volterra. Meet your local guide for a 2-hour guided tour of this beautiful town. Volterra, located at 531 m above sea level, was one of the most important city-states of the ancient Etruscan civilization. It is also known for its white alabaster, which is still used today in many artisanal workshops. Volterra is one of the most intact medieval villages of Tuscany, characterized by its tower houses, its splendid palaces, and by the Duomo that houses a surprising number of Medieval and Renaissance art pieces.
- Your tour will start at the medieval walls, from which you can look down on the pristine rural landscape that extends to the Mediterranean. Cross through the city gate called the “Porta all’Arco,” built 2350 years ago!, and you will feel you have stepped back in time. The small streets and beautiful panoramas will lead you to the Cathedral, which has the famous wooden “Deposition,” and works by Benozzo Gozzoli and Fra’ Bartolomeo, and to its adjacent octagonal Baptistry, the beautiful Piazza dei Priori, and the Roman theater.
- Lunch on your own in Volterra, with suggestions by your guide.
- Return to Castagneto Carducci, about an hour’s drive, around 2:30 PM. Time to relax for a bit before dinner.
- Farewell dinner tonight at the famous “Da Ugo” to taste Ugo’s signature game dishes.
- Check out and private transfer to Pisa airport. We hope you enjoyed your food and wine tour of Tuscany!
Bolgheri Vineyards Trip Details
Included in the 5-Night Tuscany Wine Cellar Visit Trip
5 nights accommodation at boutique hotel
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 3 lunches
- 2 dinners
- Local wine included with all included meals
Classes & Instructors
Your hands-on cooking class during your wine tasting tour Tuscany will be at a private home with chef Chicca. You class menu will feature traditional Tuscan dishes, and you will prepare a full meal from fresh pasta to dessert.
- Tuscany wine tours to Podere Sapaio, Tenuta Argentiera in Bolgheri, Petra winery, Terre del Marchesato, and Suvereto
- Visits of Bolgheri and Suvereto
- Excursion to Volterra
- Round-trip transfers from/to Pisa airport or train station. (Transfers from Florence are possible for an additional cost.)
- Overnight tourist tax
- Meals not specified
Your accommodations will be in one of the lovely boutique hotels in the area. We generally use one of two properties, but if unavailable an alternative will be proposed.
The first is Villa le Luci, an ancient family villa in the western Tuscan countryside. After extensive restoration, it was turned into a charming boutique hotel of just 6 rooms. All rooms offer king-size beds with modern amenities, including air conditioning, hair dryers, and internet.
Another option is to upgrade to the beautiful Relais dei Molini, a lovely hotel of just 3 rooms and 4 suites. The en suite rooms are decorated in traditional Tuscan style, each with its own unique decor, as well as all the expected amenities. There is a terrace with views of the surrounding Tuscan countryside, and the rooms include outdoor spaces.
The Western Coast Wine Tasting Vacations Pricing & Dates
Find pricing and dates for our Tuscany wine tasting tours below, and contact us for availability or to customize your trip.
Tuscany Wine Tasting Tour Sample* Pricing:
5-Night Wine Tour Pricing
US$3980 per person based on double occupancy
*Pricing can vary be season and specific dates: please inquire with dates for detailed pricing.
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
Balance payment due 60 days prior to tour start date. Questions? Please contact us!
Please inquire for single occupancy.
Transfers from Pisa are included. Transfers from Florence possible for an additional cost.
Tuscany Wine Tasting Tour Dates
Our wine tours in Tuscany are available year round for a minimum of 2 people. Please note the Tuscan food and wine tour can be customized, including additional nights, classes, and wine tastings.
Available on request – please inquire with dates!
We Can Help Plan Your Best Winery Tour in Tuscany!
You May Also Like Our Other Italy Wine Tours
Enjoy a week at a privately owned luxury hotel near Cortona and experience the best food and wine in Italy. Your host David and his staff will make sure you have the trip of a lifetime, from the cooking classes to the meals in the elegant restaurant and more.
Tuscan Villa Cooking Vacation
For private groups of 6-10 people, enjoy a stay in a luxury private villa in Tuscany, complete with hands-on cooking classes, private excursions, and more.