Wine Tasting Tour on Tuscany's Western Coast
This trip is eligible for special flexible booking terms.
Tuscany is a land well known for its rolling hills and vineyards, and the western coast is home to some of our best wine tasting tours in Tuscany. The western part of the province may be lesser known, but it’s no less beautiful between its sprawling wine estates, hilltop towns, and miles of sandy coastline along the crystal-clear Tyrrhenian Sea.
This western coast, known also as the Etruscan Coast, is most famous for its Super Tuscan wines, which you will experience on our Tuscany wine tours during your fabulous Tuscan adventure.
The wine production of western Tuscany began shortly after World War II when an Italian aristocrat decided to experiment with Bordeaux varieties and use French winemaking practices. With the land’s rich soil and the sunny maritime climate, the wines quickly took off, and by the 1970s they were renowned around the world and considered on par with – if not better than – French Bordeaux wines. For Italians and Europeans, this part of Tuscany is a necessary stop on any wine tasting tours in Tuscany.
Nestled among these Bolgheri vineyards and near the Etruscan coast is the hamlet of Castagneto Carducci, just about 60 miles from Florence. Castagneto Carducci was named after the poet Giosué Carducci, and today the town continues to inspire artists and writers with the way the natural landscape seamlessly intertwines with the charming medieval town.
Stay five nights in the stunning region in the lovely Villa Le Luci while exploring the Tuscany foods during with a local chef and Tuscan wines on your Tuscany wine tours.
This is “truly Tuscany,” and one of our favorite itineraries: a slice of authentic Tuscan life!
Tuscany Wine Tasting Tour Details
As one of our top Tuscan wine tours, there is a big focus on Tuscan and Italian wines during your Tuscany food and wine tour. But your foodie vacation will also include:
- a hands-on cooking class
- wine tastings in Tuscany at several different local vineyards
- a visit to Volterra and San Vincenzo
- accommodations at a small villa hotel
- transfers and transportation
- meals as per the itinerary
Here is what you can expect during our wine tours in Tuscany, but keep in mind we can always customize our Tuscany wine tasting tours as well.
- Arrive at Pisa airport and transfer to the medieval hamlet of Castagneto Carducci, home for our western Tuscany wine tours. Check in to your accommodations, Villa Le Luci, which is situated among the vineyards just a few kilometers from the beach.
- After a brief welcome by your host, Giovanni, settle in and perhaps take a stroll in town.
- Enjoy a welcome dinner at il Vecchio Frantoio restaurant, only a couple of steps from the villa. Some dishes you may enjoy include tortelli with ricotta cheese and roasted pig. A perfect start to your food and wine tour of Tuscany!
- In the morning, meet your driving guide for the first of your private full-day wine tasting tours in Tuscany. First, stop at Podere Sapaio — a 40 hectare vineyard and olive grove where they produce Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Merlot wines — for a guided winery visit and Tuscany wine tasting of Volpolo and Sapaio wines.
- Next, it’s on to the colorful village of Bolgheri. Lunch at the Enoteca Tognoni.
- In the afternoon, continue to the second of your wine tasting tours in Tuscany and visit Petra winery, a 300-hectare seaside estate designed by architect Mario Botta. After the Tuscan wine tasting, take a walk into the medieval village of Suvereto and its fascinating hamlet.
- Return to the hotel. Dinner on your own. There are several restaurants within walking distance of the villa.
- Following breakfast, around 9:15AM, transfer to San Vincenzo for a cooking class with Chef Deborah Corsi at the seafood restaurant La Perla del Mare. Chef Deborah is one of the most talented chefs on the Tuscan coast! In your private hands-on class, you’ll create a full menu. Lunch to follow based on your efforts, and the meal will be paired with wines. (Please note the cooking course with Chef Deborah is available only April 10-October 31. For other months, we can substitute an alternate activity.)
- In the afternoon, take some time on your own to stroll down San Vincenzo beach and discover the village. You’ll then return to Villa Le Luci for some leisure time.
- Dinner on your own in the village.
- In the morning, continue with your Tuscany wine tours, departing around 11:00 AM for 2 prestigious wineries of the area. First stop is the Poggio Piano Wine Estate, where you will have a guided tour and tasting and a light lunch.
- In the afternoon, transfer to the Tenuta Argentiera winery where you will enjoy a guided visit with your host, one of our favorite experiences on our Tuscany wine tours. After a drive among the wine rows, you’ll reach the top of the hill, which overlooks the estate’s vineyards as well as the Tyrrhenian Sea. The tour concludes with a stop in the wine cellars for a wine tasting.
- Return to Villa Le Luci.
- Dinner on your own in town.
- Breakfast, then depart around 9:30 AM for a private excursion to Volterra. Meet your local guide for a 2-hour guided tour of this beautiful town. Volterra, located at 531 m above sea level, was one of the most important city-states of the ancient Etruscan civilization. It is also known for its white alabaster, which is still used today in many artisanal workshops. Volterra is one of the most intact medieval villages of Tuscany, characterized by its tower houses, its splendid palaces, and by the Duomo that houses a surprising number of Medieval and Renaissance art pieces.
- Your tour will start at the medieval walls, from which you can look down on the pristine rural landscape that extends to the Mediterranean. Cross through the city gate called the “Porta all’Arco,” built 2350 years ago!, and you will feel you have stepped back in time. The small streets and beautiful panoramas will lead you to the Cathedral, which has the famous wooden “Deposition,” and works by Benozzo Gozzoli and Fra’ Bartolomeo, and to its adjacent octagonal Baptistry, the beautiful Piazza dei Priori, and the Roman theater.
- Lunch on your own in Volterra, with suggestions by your guide.
- Return to Castagneto Carducci, about an hour’s drive, around 2:30 PM. Time to relax for a bit before dinner.
- Farewell dinner tonight at the famous “Da Ugo” to taste Ugo’s signature game dishes.
- Check out and private transfer to Pisa airport. We hope you enjoyed your food and wine tour of Tuscany!
Included in the 5-Night Tuscany Wine Tasting Trip
5 nights accommodation at Villa le Luci
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 3 lunches
- 2 dinners
- Local wine included with all included meals
Classes & Instructors
Your hands-on cooking class during your wine tasting tour Tuscany will be with renowned local chef Deborah Corsi of La Perla del Mare restaurant on San Vincenzo beach. Chef Deborah loves infusing her grandmother’s recipes with molecular gastronomy, as well as being inspired by the season. (The class is available mid-April through October.) You class menu might include:
- tuna carpaccio marinated with citrus fruits
- chickpea soup
- seafood tagliolini
- crispy millefoglie with vanilla ice cream
- Tuscany wine tours to Podere Sapaio, Tenuta Argentiera in Bolgheri, Petra winery, Poggio Piano Wine Estate and Suvereto
- San Vincenzo beach and village
- Excursion to Volterra
- Round-trip transfers from/to Pisa airport or train station. (Transfers from Florence possible for an additional cost of $150 per person.)
- Overnight tourist tax
- Meals not specified
After extensive restoration, this ancient family villa in the western Tuscan countryside was turned into a charming boutique hotel of just 6 rooms. All rooms offer king-size beds with modern amenities, including air conditioning, hair dryers, and internet.
Wine Tasting Tour Tuscany Pricing & Dates
Find pricing and dates for our Tuscany wine tasting tours below, and contact us for availability or to customize your trip.
Looking for tour date information?
Wine Tasting Tour Tuscany Pricing:
5-Night Wine Tour Pricing
US$3225 per person based on double occupancy
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
This trip is eligible for special flexible booking terms*, by which your deposit is refundable up to 31 days prior to the trip start date minus a $200 cancellation fee per person. Questions? Please contact us!
*See our terms & conditions for details and exclusions.
Please inquire for single occupancy.
Please note the cooking course with Chef Deborah is available only April 10-October 31. For other months, we can substitute an alternate activity.
Transfers from Pisa are included. Transfers from Florence possible for an additional cost of $150 per person.
Wine Tasting Tour Tuscany Dates
Our wine tours in Tuscany are available year round for a minimum of 2 people. Please note the Tuscan cooking course with Chef Deborah is available only April 10-October 31. For other months, we can substitute an alternate activity.
Sample Truly Tuscany food and wine tour start dates. Please inquire for availability.
August 29-September 3
September 26-October 1
October 31-November 5
November 28-December 3
Please inquiry for 2022 dates and availability.