French Cooking School Vacations With Robert Ash at Rue du Lac
Join our wonderful friend Chef Robert for a once-in-a-lifetime culinary journey into French gastronomy on one of our best
Join our wonderful friend Chef Robert Ash for a once-in-a-lifetime culinary journey into French gastronomy on one of our best Burgundy culinary tours.
Robert Ash, former chef-patron of London’s legendary and award-winning Blythe Road Restaurant, proposes an incredible Burgundy cooking school vacation. He is an acclaimed and highly decorated chef who now spends his days teaching French gastronomy to our culinary travelers at his idyllic estate in Burgundy. Join him in the very heart of France for an all-inclusive culinary tour that combines expert hands-on cooking lessons, fabulous food, and fascinating visits such as Burgundy wine tours and market visits.
Southern Burgundy is rich in history, encompassing such sites as the prehistoric Solutré rock, with vineyards covering its lower slopes, the famous Abbey of Cluny, and the stunning Chàteau of Pierreclos. The River Saòne runs through the region and feeds the famous vineyards of St. Vérand (home of St. Véran), Pouilly-Fuissé, the southern Mâconnais, and the hills of the Beaujolais wine region), each of which you can explore on our Burgundy wine tours.
Mâcon itself is a fascinating town at the river’s edge, and your home for your Burgundy cooking school vacation is a large converted farmhouse standing on two acres of grounds a few miles south of Mâcon. Of course, one of the centerpieces of the farmhouse is the teaching kitchen, home for your hands-on Burgundy cooking class with the chef.
Your cooking school vacation will feature days spent exploring French cuisine and wines during hands-on cooking class and wine tasting. Cook with the freshest of ingredients picked on the estate or selected at the local market, create perfect French dishes such as confit de canard and profiteroles au chocolate, and of course spend plenty of time relaxing in the garden with the chef enjoying the delicious food you have prepared paired with wine wines of Burgundy.
During your Burgundy cooking class tour, you will also explore the beauties of the region, from the town of Mâcon to the celebrated Les Halles market in Lyon. Your afternoons will feature Burgundy wine tastings to taste such wines as Pouilly Fuissé and St. Véran. And each evening will end with the knowledge that you have just had one of the best days of your life!
Burgundy Cooking Classes Highlights
The highlight of your Burgundy cooking school vacation will undoubtedly be the hands-on cooking class with Chef Robert Ash at Rue du Lac. A patient and learned chef, Robert will teach you French cooking techniques and a plethora of amazing recipes. Some dishes you prepare might be: confit de canard, tarte tatin, pommes dauphinoise, profiteroles, and more. You will also enjoy Burgundy wine tasting and market visit.
Discover the day-by-day itinerary for your French cooking school vacation below. Although the daily programs shown here are typical, the menu and actual dishes prepared during your Burgundy culinary vacation will vary according to season and market supply. The intention is to use the very best and freshest ingredients, and to demonstrate as many useful techniques as time allows.
- Transfer from Lyon (St. Exupéry) airport (about one hour transfer time), Mâcon-Loché TGV or Mâcon-Ville rail stations (approx. 15 minutes).
- If arriving on your own plan to arrive by 6:00 p.m. at the latest.
- Enjoy a welcome drink with Chef Robert. Settle into your room, then enjoy a delicious supper at 7:30 p.m. This meal, like all the others during your stay, will be accompanied by select wines from Burgundy and the Mâconnais region.
- Breakfast served from 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 am.
- Receive your welcome packet including recipes, a personalized folder, and an apron.
- First hands-on class at 10:00 a.m. Prepare lunch, which might consist of: bar à la crème de fenouil avec ses pommes dauphinoises (roast fillet of sea bass, cream fennel sauce and potatoes dauphinoise) and tarte tatin, plus a lesson to begin preparing confit de canard (duck confit).
- Lunch will be served at 1:00 p.m.
- The afternoon session may feature saumon en papillotte (salmon in paper parcels) and desserts including Italian biscotti.
- Dinner will be served at 7:30 p.m.
- Morning cooking class, which might include: oeufs carême (a dish devised by Queen Victoria’s personal chef), confit de canard, and profiteroles au chocolat.
- Lunch at 1:00 p.m.
- This afternoon you have an optional Burgundy wine tour and tasting to le Hameau du Vin wine museum in Romanèche (about 10 minutes away), where you will enjoy a tour and tasting, followed by a visit to the nearby Maison Jacoulot, producers of liqueurs and eaux-de-vie.
- Dinner at the house at 7:30 p.m.
- Set off early this morning for Lyon, about an hour away, and visit the justly-celebrated les Halles market. Peruse the fish and shellfish, the oyster bars, the meat and cheese vendors, the wine, bread and patisserie, vegetables, spices, and confectionery – all of the highest quality! You will also visit a specialty kitchen equipment shop.
- Lunch will be at an excellent restaurant in central Lyon.
- Return around 6 pm and chef’s supper at 8:00 p.m.
- Your morning class might include: pintade rôtie avec pancetta, rosti et sauce chanterelles (guinea fowl wrapped in pancetta with rosti potatoes and chanterelle sauce), millefeuille de fraises (strawberry millefeuille) or mousse au chocolat grand marnier.
- Lunch at the house to follow.
- In the afternoon, free time, or enjoy optional Burgundy wine tours to the wineries of Pouilly Fuissé and St. Véran.
- Return to the house for dinner and presentation of certificates of completion at 7:30 p.m.
- Late breakfast and morning at leisure.
- Chef Robert will be at your disposal throughout the morning to review any of the recipes and techniques.
- During the morning guests will be transferred to the Lyon airport or either of the Mâcon railway stations.
- If you are using your own transport you should plan to depart by midday.
Details of Cooking Class Tour in Burgundy
Included in the 5-Night Burgundy Culinary Tour
5 nights accommodation in double occupancy room
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 4 lunches
- 5 dinners
- All meals accompanied by fine Burgundy and Mâconnais wines
Classes & Instructors
Your 4 intensive cooking sessions will include the preparation of around 30 different dishes. They will take place in the main teaching kitchen, which has been equipped to a high standard, with every conceivable tool of haute cuisine. There is a second kitchen which is also for the use of guests.
- bar à la crème de fenouil avec ses pommes dauphinoises (roast fillet of sea bass, cream fennel sauce and potatoes dauphinoise) and tarte tatin, plus a lesson to begin preparing confit de canard (duck confit)
- saumon en papillotte (salmon in paper parcels) and desserts including Italian biscotti
- oeufs carême (a dish devised by Queen Victoria’s personal chef), confit de canard, and profiteroles au chocolat
- pintade rôtie avec pancetta, rosti et sauce chanterelles (guinea fowl wrapped in pancetta with rosti potatoes and chanterelle sauce), millefeuille de fraises (strawberry millefeuille) or mousse au chocolat grand marnier
- Visit to le Hameau du Vin wine museum and Maison Jacoulot liqueur producers
- Full-day visit to Lyon, including Les Halles market
- Optional Burgundy wine tours to the wineries of Pouilly Fuissé and St. Véran
- Round-trip transfers from/to Lyon (St. Exupéry) airport, Mâcon-Loché TGV or Mâcon-Ville rail stations.
Your home for your Burgundy culinary vacation will be at a country farmhouse B&B. The rooms are basic but comfortable, with private bathrooms. There is a swimming pool and sun terrace, and plenty of room for relaxing in or out doors. If weather permits, breakfast can be served poolside – other meals can be enjoyed on one of the two garden terraces.
2024 Pricing & Dates for Cooking Classes in Bourgogne
See pricing and dates for cooking vacations below, or contact us for availability or to book your tour.
Cooking Class Vacations in Burgundy Pricing:
(price per person for 3 or more)
5-Night French Cooking Vacation Pricing
US$3600 per person based on double occupancy
- Subtract US$950 per non-cooking companion
Price listed is for groups of 3 or more. Price to guarantee a private week for 2 people: $5400 per person.
Single occupancy supplement: please inquire.
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
Balance payment due 60 days prior to tour start date. Questions? Please contact us!
Burgundy Food Tour Dates
Our Burgundy culinary vacations with Chef Robert are available late May through early October for 2 to 6 people. Sample dates follow, but please inquire with specific dates if these don’t work – we are flexible!
April 28-May 3
June 30-July 5