Best of the West: Sicily Cooking Vacation
Explore western Sicily on one of the best Sicily cooking vacations, and discover Palermo, Cefalù, Agrigento, and more!
Western Sicily Food and Wine Tour
Explore the best of western Sicily on this amazing culinary tour of one of the world’s most renowned islands. Sicily has been beguiling travelers for millennia! As the largest island in the Mediterranean, Sicily has seen the rule and influence of many different cultures, including the Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, Vandals, Ostrogoths, Byzantines, French, and Spaniards – not to mention the Italians! In some ways Sicily is still more “Sicilian” than “Italian,” with its unique culture, cuisine, and language permeating its every shore.
This 6-night western Sicily cooking vacation will include some of Europe’s most iconic sites, from the cathedral of Cefalù, to the Greek ruins of Agrigento, to the Roman villa of Piazza Armerina, all accompanied by an expert Sicilian guide and flavored with amazing Sicilian food and wine!
You will explore Sicilian cuisine from the street food of Palermo to the fish fresh from the market, from hand-made pastas to delicious desserts like cannoli. And of course, you will also explore Sicilian wines during fabulous wine tastings. Come explore western Sicily with us!
Highlights of our Western Sicily Food and Wine Tours
Our Best of the West Sicily cooking vacation will show you authentic Sicily, including some of its most fascinating cultural sites like the Valley of the Temples and Selinunte in Agrigento, the Roman villa at Piazza Armerina, medieval Erice, and more. You will also explore Sicilian cuisine during your hands-on cooking classes as well as:
- 2 winery visits with wine tastings
- a market visit in Palermo
- a visit of an olive mill with olive oil tasting
- a dairy farm visit
Best of the West Sicily Cooking Vacation Itinerary
- Meet your driver at the Palermo airport, transfer to your hotel and check-in.
- Tonight meet your guide for a street food tasting around Palermo (drinks not included) – a totally unique and authentic experience!
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- Begin your first hands-on cooking class with a trip to one of Palermo’s historic and bustling markets. Next head to the chef’s restaurant with your fresh ingredients, where you will learn about creating typical Sicilian dishes, such as zucca all’agro or veal scaloppine with Marsala wine. Lunch to follow based on your efforts.
- In the afternoon depart for Cefalù, a charming town that became prosperous when the Normans captured it in 1063. It was Roger II, King of Sicily, that began the construction of the present Cathedral with its remarkably fine mosaics of Byzantine art. The image of Christ Pantocrator in the apse and the rest of the mosaics in the first spaces between the arches of the choir are among the most beautiful in the world. (Please note the cathedral is currently closed for renovation.)
- Return to the hotel, dinner on your own, and overnight.
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- In the morning depart for Sambuca di Sicilia for a wine and olive oil tasting at Planeta, one of Sicily’s top-rated wineries.
- Light lunch with wine pairing at the winery.
- Continue on to Agrigento, where you will visit of the Valley of the Temples, one of Sicily’s most iconic sites.
- Continue on to the hotel and check in.
- Dinner on your own.
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- In the morning, start your second half-day cooking lesson with Chef Damiano at the restaurant of Relais Briuccia. You will learn how to prepare some more of the most popular and quintessential local recipes. Lunch to follow based on your efforts.
- In the afternoon, visit of Selinunte, one of the most impressive Greek archaeological areas outside of Greece!
- Return to the hotel.
- Dinner on your own and overnight.
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- Transfer to Piazza Armerina to admire the unique mosaics of the Roman Villa. It is considered one of Sicily’s most spectacular classical sites.
- Enoy a light lunch at a dairy farm near Enna, where you will taste delicious ricotta cheese, fresh mozzarella, and the famous Piacentinu Ennese.
- Transfer back to Palermo and check in.
- Dinner on own and overnight.
- After breakfast at the hotel, head to Erice, a nearby medieval town located at the top of a mountain and set 751 meters above sea level. Erice overlooks the whole Western region of Sicily, the Mediterranean Sea, and the Egadi Islands. Take a walking tour of the village’s characteristic historical center. Stop at Maria Grammatico’s famous pastry shop for a delicious tasting.
- Lunch on your own in Erice.
- In the afternoon, depart for Marsala for a wine tasting at a top-rated winery.
- Return to Palermo for dinner on your own.
- Breakfast at the hotel and transfer to Palermo airport. Arrivederci!
Western Sicily Cooking Vacation Trip Details
Included in the 6-Night Sicily Culinary Tour
- 6 nights accommodation (4 in Palermo, 2 near Agrigento)
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 3 lunches
- 1 tasting dinner
- 1 pastry tasting
Classes & Instructors
Your two hands-on cooking classes will feature traditional Sicilian regional cuisine and will be with acclaimed restaurant chefs. Your cooking class in Palermo will be preceded by a market visit.
- Market visit in Palermo
- 2 visits of top rated wineries
- 1 extra virgin olive oil tasting
- 1 visit of a dairy farm
- Visits to the Valley of the Temples and Selinunte in Agrigento (entrance tickets paid locally)
- Visit of the Piazza Armerina (entrance tickets paid locally)
- Excursion to Erice with guided tour
- Roundtrip transfers from/to the Palermo airport
- Entrance tickets
Your accommodations in Palermo will be at the charming 4* Grand Hotel Piazza Borsa in the city center. The rooms have en suite private baths, minibar, safe, LCD TV, phone, and of course air conditioning. The hotel also features a restaurant, bar, spa, and interior courtyard.
Alternately, accommodations could be at the 4* Hotel Artemisia Palace, also in the city center. Housed in a twentieth-century Palazzo, the hotel offers 19 elegant rooms, each featuring en suite bath, safe, mini bar, air conditioning, and free WiFi. The hotel also has a bar.
In the area near Agrigento your stay will be at the charming, 7-room Relais Briuccia. Originally an aristocratic palace and converted into a B&B, the building also features a wonderful restaurant, a stone terrace, and a frescoed salon. The rooms are large and feature wrought iron bedsteads and four poster beds, marble tiled floors, beamed ceilings, and other interesting design features. The en suite bathrooms are separated from the bedrooms by curtained glass partitions.
Alternately, your accommodations near Agrigento will be at the Masseria Agnello, a 19th-century estate featuring a main house as well as a variety of other buildings converted into vacation apartments. The elegant rooms in the main house feature simple décor that evokes the landscape outslde.
Sicily Cooking Vacation Pricing and Dates
Find pricing and dates for our Best of the West Sicily cooking vacation below, and contact us for availability or to plan your trip.
Sicily Cooking Vacation Sample* Pricing:
6-Night Western Sicily Cooking Vacation Pricing
US$6390 per person based on double occupancy
*Please inquire with specific dates to confirm pricing.
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
Balance payment due 60 days prior to tour start date. Questions? Please contact us!
Single occupancy supplement: please inquire
Western Sicily Cooking Vacation Tour Dates
Our Best of the West Sicily cooking vacation and food tour is available any week for a minimum of 2 people. Sample dates follow; alternate starting dates are also available, please inquire.
Please inquire for dates.
We can help plan the ultimate Sicily cooking vacation!
Whether you need help planning additional nights or tours in Sicily, transportation, or more, we are always here to help you plan the very best cooking vacation in Sicily.We might not be able to pack for you, but there are many things we can help with to make your Sicily cooking vacation that much better. Contact us for more information, or you can indicate your interest during check out and we will follow up with you directly! Contact Us
You may also like our other Sicily culinary vacations
Elegant Taormina and The Eastern Coast
4 or 6 Nights Starting At $4,800Save to Compare
Authentic Sicilian Experience for the Food Lover
7 Nights Starting At $7,500Save to Compare