Authentic Portugal Culinary Vacations
This trip is eligible for our Worry-Free Booking promotion.
The Alentejo Region stretches from the Tagus River at Lisbon south to the Algarve. Its terracotta earth is covered in wheat fields and bordered by rows of olive trees marching up and down the rolling hills like Roman centurions. Dotting the hillsides, white washed villages and towns appear, crowned by castles.
The ancients left their megaliths, the Romans their aqueducts, the Portuguese a wealth of architecture from Gothic to Baroque. Some of the ancient arts and crafts are still practiced in this region today.
In the Alentejo, the cooking and wine-making reflect the region’s rich culinary traditions, which you will explore on our authentic Portugal culinary vacations. In the spring, the Alentejo is carpeted in wildflowers. In the summer, wheat, oats, and sunflowers blanket the fields, and in the autumn, the air is filled with the smell of grapes and olives ripening. This stunning area covers a third of Portugal, but yet is home to only seven percent of the country’s population.
In the heart of this unspoiled countryside is the charming capital town of Evora, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The elegant town is considered a museum city, shaped as it is by more than 20 centuries of history. It was once the residence of Portuguese kings in the 15th century, the beginning of the town’s golden age.
Discover Èvora on our amazing Portugal culinary vacations, during which you will cook with your hostess and instructor, the charming Sofia, who will also show you the beauty of this unique land.
This trip pairs very well with our 3-night Lisbon Food Tour, or we would be happy to create a custom itinerary for you in Lisbon.
Delectable Portugal Culinary Vacation Details
Our best Portugal culinary vacations include authentic hands-on cooking classes, plenty of unique excursions, and of course beautiful accomomdations. Our Delectable Portugal cooking tour features:
- deluxe hotel accommodations
- 5 hands-on cooking classes focussing on local Portuguese dishes
- visits to a local wine estate, the hilltop town of Monsaraz, and the megalithic cromeleques
- guided visit of Evora
- meals as indicated
- and much more!
Your fabulous and authentic culinary vacation in Portugal will include daily activities as indicated below. Depending on the season and dates booked, the order of activities is subject to change.
- Pickup from Lisbon hotel or airport and depart for the small town of Èvora, your home for your Portugal cooking vacation. This small town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site full of Roman vestiges, as well as medieval churches and palaces. Every street in Evora’s center retains a historic charm.
- Lunch in a local traditional restaurant, followed by a brief orientation walk to introduce you to Èvora.
- In the afternoon, experience your first cooking class in Sofia’s renovated but traditional kitchen. The class will be an introduction to Portuguese gastronomy, and a study in influences and seasonings.
- Dinner to follow based on your efforts.
- After breakfast, begin your second cooking class. During your lesson you will focus on the importance of fish and olive oil in Portuguese cuisine.
- Today’s lunch is based on your culinary efforts!
- This afternoon enjoy a visit to a local wine estate, blending ancient and modern winemaking techniques. The grapes of this wine region include Periquita, Trincadeira, Tinta Roriz and Moreto reds and Roupeiro, Manteudo, Perrum, Rabo de Ovelha for the whites – all Portuguese varieties, as well as Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz.
- Stop in the nearby village of S. Pedro do Corval, a popular local pottery place full of small factories.
- Next, visit the 13th century castle built by King Afonso III in the thousand-year-old village of Monsaraz, close to the border of Spain. You will have dinner in the shadow of this picturesque fortress.
- Return to the hotel and overnight.
- Today’s culinary class will concentrate on local produce, an abundance from local farms and ranches.
- This afternoon, tour Évora and visit the famous cathedral, Chapel of Bones from the 16th century, and the Roman Baths and Temple from the 1st century.
- After a walking tour, time at leisure to explore and shop on your own. The town is rich in jewelry, items made from cork (hats, shoes, aprons, purses, bracelets, etc.), tiles, and much more.
- Dinner on your own (Sofia will make suggestions).
- Return to the hotel on your own and overnight.
- Cooks, this is your day off! Today you will drive into the northern Alentejo and before lunch at Vila Viçosa, visit its Renaissance Ducal Palace and the historical Sancturay of Vila Vicosa, where John IV, King of Portugal, gave his crown to the Virgin Mary and named her Queen of Portugal.
- Passing through part of Alentejo known for its marble, stop in the historical and white town of Estremoz, enclosed within its ramparts and overlooking a vast plain of gnarled olive trees and wheat fields. You will also stop at a cork factory.
- Once back in Evora, time for dinner on your own and overnight.
- Breakfast followed by your fourth cooking class.
- This region is known for its aromatic herbs and wild flowers. This morning you will use them in dishes that the locals have passed on through generations. Lunch to follow.
- Enjoy an afternoon excursion to several traditional villages, and visit the fabulous pre-historical megalithic “cromeleque dos almendres” from 4000 BC.
- This evening, sit down to a farewell dinner at a traditional restaurant.
- Breakfast, and check out of the hotel, where you can leave your luggage.
- Your last class focuses on the flavors of the South. Lunch to follow based on your efforts.
- After lunch, return to the hotel to collect your bags, then transfer to Lisbon.
This trip pairs wonderfully with our 3-night Lisbon Food Tour. Or, contact us if you’d like us to create a custom stay for you in Lisbon after your Delectable Portugal culinary vacation in Èvora.
Included in Your 5-Night Portugal Culinary Vacation
5 nights accommodation in room with balcony and city or garden views at the 5* Mar de Ar Aqueduto (or similar)
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 5 lunches
- 3 dinners
- Local wine included with all included meals
Classes & Instructors
Your 5 cooking classes will be at the cooking atelier of the lovely Sofia, your guide and instructor. Portuguese cuisine is simple, characterized by a rich variety of regional dishes. Gathering herbs and produce from the local markets and pairing them with timeless recipes, cooks of all levels can roll up their sleeves in the kitchen and prepare a variety of succulent Mediterranean dishes influenced by this historic region. Olive oil, garlic, cilantro, parsley, onions, bayleaf, paprika, pepper, rosemary, leek, spinach, lamb, pork, codfish, seabass and dogfish are some of our main ingredients. Your classes will focus on Portuguese home cooking and will include:
- An introduction to Portuguese seasonings and traditions
- Fish and olive oil in Portuguese cuisine
- Local produce from the Alentejo
- Aromatic herbs in Portuguese cooking
- Visit to a local wine estate and to Monsaraz
- Guided visit of Evora
- Marble and cork area, including Vila Viçosa in northern Alentejo and Estremoz
- Visit to the megalithic cromeleques
- Roundtrip transfers from Lisbon (airport, train station, or city center). Please do not arrive after 4 pm. (Late transfers will necessitate a special transfer at a cost of 150 Euros.)
The beautiful and chic M’ar de Ar Aqueduto hotel will be your home for our Portugal cooking vacations in Evora. It likes in the center of Evora and was originally a palace of the Sepulveda family, whose magnificent chapel and vaulted ceilings were preserved in the hotel, as were three Manueline windows on the main façade. The hotel features modern decor, exceptional service, and all the modern comforts. Your stay will be in an upgraded room with balcony and either garden or city views. You can also choose to upgrade to a suite for an additional cost. (If unavailable a comparable hotel will be proposed.)
The 4* Mar de Ar Muralhas hotel is also an option for our clients. It is a bit farther than the Aqueduto from the cooking school, but if you prefer this option, please let us know.
Delectable Portugal Culinary Vacation Pricing & Tour Dates
Find pricing and dates for our Delectable Portugal culinary vacations below, and contact us for availability or to book your trip.
5-Night Portugal Cooking Vacation Pricing:
5-Night Portugal Cooking Vacation Pricing
US$3390 per person based on double occupancy
- Add US$500 for single occupancy (use of a double room by 1 person)
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
This trip is eligible for our “Worry-Free Booking” promotion*, which means your deposit is fully refundable up to 31 days prior to the trip start date. Questions? Please contact us!
*See our terms & conditions for details and exclusions.
Upgrade to a suite: +$250 per person (double occupancy).
Delectable Portugal Culinary Vacation Tour Dates
Our Delectable Portugal culinary vacations can take place most weeks on request for a minimum of 2 people. The cooking vacation usually starts on a Monday, but other start dates may be possible. Sample dates follow, please inquire for availability or to customize your tour.
Sample dates. Please inquire for availability.
October 25-October 30
November 29-December 4
Sample dates. Please inquire for availablity.
January 31-February 5
February 28-March 5
March 28-April 2
May 30-June 4
June 27-July 2
September 26-October 1
October 31-November 5
November 28-December 3