Taste of Seville
Nestled in the Andalusia region of Spain, Seville will surely enchant you with its whitewashed alleyways, patios of orange trees, and hidden plazas. Seville is a city deeply marked by its historical roots. The long Moorish occupation of the Iberian Peninsula left indelible traces in this part of Spain. La Giralda is probably the most famous structure in the city. Once the tower of an important mosque, it is now part of a huge Gothic cathedral, and is the most well known of the remaining Islamic monuments. This culturally rich city is also famous for its tapas and Flamenco dancing. Seville is credited with the invention of the tapa—bite size samplings of a variety of typical Spanish foods, ranging from seafood to ham, and from vegetables to a myriad of cheeses. The city has more than a thousand tapas bars, so Sevillians make a meal of them by moving from bar to bar and trying one dish at a time. Another trademark of this region is the art of Flamenco dancing, which is said to be an artistic expression of the sorrows and joys of life, often accompanied by the song of a Spanish guitar.
Today more and more people are learning that Spain is a top culinary destination —not just the home of the famous paella, Spanish omelette, and gazpacho, it now boasts some of the world’s best and most renowned chefs and restaurants, along with a greatly variety of styles. During your amazing cooking vacation, you can explore anything from great stews and meat dishes to seafood recipes, vegetable dishes, salads, desserts with a Moorish influence and so on.
Taste of Seville Itinerary
- Arrival in Seville and transfer from airport or train station to your hotel. Your accommodations during your cooking vacation will be at a lovely 4-star hotel in the center of Seville.
- This evening you will meet your guide Roger at the hotel around 8:00 pm for your tapas tour of the four best tapas bars in Seville to give you a taste of what Seville can offer. Many consider Seville to be the tapas capital of Spain.
- Breakfast at your hotel.
- In the morning, a cooking lesson with Chef Ana. You will learn a selection of great Spanish dishes that you can recreate for your friends and family when you return home.
- Lunch to follow based on your efforts.
- In the afternoon, head to an olive oil mill about a half hour away from Seville near the town of El Viso del Alcor. The mill’s owner will show you around the vineyards as he explains the production process. The tour will end with a tasting of the wonderful olive oil, which is both fruity and light.
- Evening and dinner on your own.
- Departure around 9:30 AM for Jerez, home of the world-famous Spanish sherry wines. You will first visit a large winery in Jerez where you will see the spectacular rooms filled top to bottom with sherry casks. The buildings are often compared to cathedrals, and they certainly do give the impression of being sanctified places! There will be an in-depth tour, complete with an explanation of the unique process of making sherry wines, vinegar, and Jerez brandy. At the end of the visit, enjoy a tasting of fine sherry wines.
- Next stop will be a boutique winery that only produces very high-end sherries, brandies and vinegar. You will get to sample their wines and brandies, many of them tasted directly from the barrel—a rare treat!
- Afterwards, head to Sanlúcar de Barrameda, passing by some of the most important vineyards on the way. Sanlúcar is the second most important sherry town after Jerez, and is unknown to most foreign visitors. Located at the mouth of the Guadalquivir estuary, it overlooks Doñana National Park and out to the Atlantic Ocean. Among the other types of sherry wine produced in Sanlúcar you will discover manzanilla, a light style of sherry with a salty hint to it.
- Sanlúcar is also known as one of the premier destinations in Spain for fine seafood. Enjoy lunch at one of the fantastic seafood restaurants along the banks of the estuary.
- After lunch, free time for a walk along the beach.
- Return to Seville, where you will be free for the rest of the evening.
- Breakfast and transfer to the airport or train station.