Cooking Vacations in Aix-en-Provence
Aix is one of the most quintessential Provencal towns, nestled in the heart of the Bouches-du-Rhône region. It is one of the larger of Provence’s cities, and owes much of its vibrancy to its history, climate, and large university population. It’s one of our favorite destinations for our cooking vacations in Provence!
From the famed tree-lined Cours Mirabeau, to the many (some say 1000!) fountains and public squares, Aix is a city for wandering, exploring, and sitting in one of the many outside restaurants for a meal, a glass of wonderful Provencal wine, or simply a coffee.
The old city meanders with narrow, winding streets, many shops, restaurants, and cafes. The medieval quarter is home to the Cathedral of Aix, which embodies over a thousand years of religious, architectural, and artistic history in its many styles.
In addition to the many sites Aix has to offer, its location in the heart of Provence make it an ideal base for exploring such other famed Provencal areas as Avignon and the coast. Experience the glory of southern France on our cooking vacations in Provence!
Highlights of Our Cooking Vacations in Provence
Our Provence cooking vacations combine a perfect mix of culinary and cultural activities. You will have a chance to explore Provence cuisine during hands-on cooking classes as well as a foodie walking tour and Provence wine tastings. And you will explore the many cultural and historical sites during your shared and private tours.
Our cooking vacations in Provence provide a wonderful mix of cooking, food and wine tastings, and cultural excursions. Please remember that our itineraries can also be customized to suit your tastes!
- Private transfer from Aix TGV station (or Marseille airport) to Aix city center.
- Check in to your hotel.
- Time to relax, stroll around the city, and enjoy dinner on your own and overnight.
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- This morning meet your chef in the center of Aix for a shared trip (max 8 people) to the weekly open air market and sample regional products such as olives, calissons, cheese, and fruit. Then it is off to her cooking atelier, where you will enjoy a cooking class followed by lunch (drinks included).
- In the afternoon, explore on your own the studio of painter Paul Cezanne, who was born in Aix. The studio was designed by Cezanne, and gives you the impression of stepping back to turn-of-the-century Provence!
- Dinner on your own and overnight.
- Meet your guide in the center of Aix for a shared walking gourmet tour (max 8 people), learning about the town and tasting some of the local specialties. Try such local delights as Calisson, tapenade, and local cheese. (During the winter months, November through March, this may be substituted with a wine tour – please inquire!)
- This evening around 5:30 pm meet the chef at her cooking studio and enjoy a second hand-on cooking class.
- Dinner to follow based on what you have prepared.
- Return to the hotel on your own and overnight.
- Meet your private English-speaking driver guide at the hotel. Head to the coast and discover a secret place in Sormiou, a calanque located near Marseille. You will enjoy the breathtaking views and a proper Provencal menu of fresh fish, wines, and a traditional “Bouillabaisse.”
- On the way back to Aix, enjoy a panoramic driving tour of Marseille, the oldest city in France.
- Back to Aix, dinner on your own and overnight.
- Meet your English-speaking guide in the center of Aix for a shared full-day tour (max 8 people). First head for the village of Les Baux de Provence, with its medieval charm and imposing castle ruins..
- Next, Pont du Gard, a Unesco World Heritage site and one of the finest Roman ruins.
- End in Avignon, the “city of the Popes,” to see its medieval walls, Pont d’Avignon, and (if you choose) the famed Popes’ Palace (entrance fee not included). (Learn more about the Palais des Papes.)
- Free time for lunch.
- Stop at a Chateauneuf-du-Pape winery for a tasting en route back to Aix.
- Dinner on your own and overnight.
- Breakfast, and checkout.
- Spend the day exploring Aix (perhaps the Musee Granet), and enjoy a cheese and wine pairing for lunch.
- Afternoon transfer to Aix TGV station (or Marseille airport).
Provence Cooking Vacation in Aix: Trip Details
Included in the 5-Night Provence Culinary Vacation
5 nights accommodation in 4* hotel in Aix
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 3 lunches, beverages included
- 1 dinner
Classes & Instructors
Your stay in Aix will include 2 cooking courses focusing on Provencal cuisine. Both hands-on cooking courses will feature the fresh seasonal produce for which Provence is so justifiably famous.
- Market visit with the chef
- Shared gourmet walking tour of Aix on day 3 (max 8 people) (please note that during the winer the food tour may be substituted with a wine tour & tasting)
- Private tour on day 4
- Shared excursion (max 8 people) to Les Baux de Provence, the Pont du Gard, Avignon, and Chateauneuf du Pape (please note depending on the season this excursion may be modified slightly)
- Arrival and departure transfers from/to Aix TGV station (please note that the departure transfer on day six is in the afternoon; please do not book a train departing before 3 pm. Transfers from/to Marseille airport also possible for an additional cost, but do not book a flight departing before 4:30 pm on Day 6)
- Tour guide in Avignon (entrance fees to Popes’ Palace not included)
Your home for your Provence cooking vacation will be a centrally located 4* hotel such as the 4* Hotel Rotonde. This contemporary boutique hotel lies just minutes by foot from the Fontaine de la Rotonde and the Cours Mirabeau. It features bright, modern en suite rooms with modern amenities, as well as a lounge and a terrace. (If unavailable a similar hotel will be used.)
Cooking Vacations in Aix-en-Provence: Pricing & Dates
Find pricing and dates for our cooking vacations in Provence below, and contact us for availability or to book your trip.
January-June & September-December
5-Night Provence Cooking Vacation Pricing
US$2790 per person based on double occupancy
- Add US$650 for single occupancy (use of a double room by 1 person)
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
Balance payment due 60 days prior to tour start date. Questions? Please contact us!
Please inquire for July & August.
Aix-en-Provence Cooking Vacation Tour Dates
Our cooking vacations in Provence are generally available any dates for a minimum of 2 people. Posted dates are with Monday start, but other start days also possible on request. Please inquire for July and August dates.
January 30-February 4
February 27-March 4
March 27-April 1
May 29-June 3
June 26-July 1
July & August: Please inquire
October 30-November 4
November 27-December 2
There are no reviews at this time.
We can help plan the best food and wine tours in Provence!
We might not be able to pack for you, but there are many things we can help with to make your Provence cooking vacation that much better.
Contact us for more information, or you can indicate your interest during check out and we will follow up directly!Contact Us