July 7, 2020
We are often asked what our favorite destinations for the best cooking vacations are, and as I explained in our recent video (see below!), that…Read This Post
Try this recipes for a simple Walnut & Hazelnut Cake (Gateau au noix et aux noisettes) from Chef Michael Altman of Provence, who for many years taught our culinary travelers the wonders of French cuisine. Nuts are a prevalent ingredient in Provence, and this wonderful fall recipe is a perfect treat. You can serve it on its own or with ice cream (perhaps caramel ice cream), coffee mousse, whipped cream, or even with a simple chocolate sauce.
Discover more French culinary traditions, including recipes such as this one, during a Provence cooking vacation.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Cook method: Bake
1. Put all the nuts into a food processor and grind up without turning them into a powder. This is best done by pulsing, as you also don’t want the nuts to overheat.
2. Add the softened butter, the sugar, the eggs, the flour and the alcohol. Mix well.
3. Empty the mixture into a buttered, low round cake tin.
4. Place in the oven, preheated to 150° C (about 300° F), for approximately 20-25 minutes. The cake should have a golden brown color and stay soft on finger pressure.
5. Cool for a few minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on a wire baking rack.
Serve by itself or with any accompaniment you prefer. It pairs extremely well with berries, as well as coffee, chocolate, and caramel flavors.
Learn more recipes on one of our favorite Provence cooking vacations.
Interested in more French dessert recipes? Try these from our recipe archives:
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.