Walnut & Hazelnut Cake (Gateau au noix et aux noisettes)
Walnut & Hazelnut Cake (Gateau au noix et aux noisettes) – from Chef Michael Altman of Heartland of Provence.
Discover more French cuisine traditions, including recipes such as this one, during a Provence cooking vacation.
* 125 gr whole shelled walnuts (about 4.5 oz)
* 125 gr shelled hazel nuts
* 125 gr butter
* 150 gr sugar (about 5.3 oz)
* 5 eggs
* 80 gr plain flour (about 2.8 oz)
* 1 tbps. Dark alcohol (rum, cognac, armagnac, etc.)
Put all the nuts into a food processor and grind up without turning them into a powder.
Add the softened butter, the sugar, the eggs, the flour and the alcohol. Mix well.
Empty the mixture into a buttered low round cake tin.
Place in the oven, preheated to 130° C (about 275° F), for approximately 25 minutes. The cake should have a golden brown colour and stay soft on finger pressure.
Serve with coffee ice cream or coffee mousse.