Featured as our recipe of the month in June 2009, this delectable recipe is from the wonderful Robert Ash Cookery School in Burgundy. We consider this one of our best cooking vacations. Try this tasty recipe at home or cook with Chef Robert himself on a culinary vacation in France!
The dish makes a great appetizer, but can also be served with a salad as a light lunch. Serve it with wines from Burgundy, of course!
Filo Pastry Parcels of Four Cheeses
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Cook method: Bake
- 225 g (about 8 oz) of grated, strong cheddar cheese or 60 g (2 oz) each of grated parmesan, mozzarella, cheddar and stilton
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp grain mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onion
- 1 tbsp sultanas or chopped dates
- 1 tbsp chopped nut (such as pecans, walnuts, or pine nuts)
- 2 beaten eggs
- black pepper
- 4 sheets frozen filo pastry
- melted butter for brushing
1. In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together except the filo pastry and the melted butter, and place in the refrigerator to firm up.
2. Brush the top surface of two sheets of filo pastry, place some of the filling in the centre of the first sheet and wrap it up in a square shape.
3. Then place the square in the centre of the second sheet and gather up all the sides into a round shape and twist the edges together on top like a purse.
4. Brush with melted butter and bake in a 400°F oven for 10-15 minutes, depending on the size.
Cook with chef Robert in Burgundy and experience the trip of a lifetime!
By Peg Kern
Try another great recipe featuring phyllo: Classic Baklava!
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.