Chef Ana’s Simple Ceviche
This recipe from Chef Ana of our Hola Mexico cooking vacation first appeared as our July 2009 recipe of the month. You can cook with Chef Ana on one of our amazing Mexico cooking vacations! But in the meantime, follow this simple recipe for a delicious ceviche.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 240 minutes
Cook method: Acid
- 1 lb. dorado or mahi-mahi cut into ½ inch cubes (or use other whitefish—the fresher the better!)
- 1 cup of fresh-squeezed lime juice to “cook” the fish in the refrigerator
- 1 white onion, chopped in ¼ inch squares
- 3 cups of Roma or Saladet tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup of cilantro, chopped
- 4 jalapeno chiles in vinegar, chopped
- 4 tablespoons of fresh-squeezed lime for dressing
- ¼ cup of fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ cup sliced olives
- 1 ripe avocado cut in small cubes
- Salt to taste
For serving: Tostadas, Totopos or Saltines, Splash of Hot Sauce to taste
Take the fish and cut into ½ inch cubes.
Place fish in the cup of lime juice in a rectangular Tupperware. Make sure there is enough lime juice to cover the fish. Place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours (maximum of 5 hours).
Discard the lime juice in the Tupperware and mix fish gently with all of the other ingredients. Don’t over-stir or the fish may crumble.
Chef’s notes: Serve with saltines, tostadas (crisp corn tortillas) or totopos (crisp corn tortilla triangles). Add a splash of your favorite hot sauce, to taste. The ceviche goes very well with a lighter flavored beer like Modelo Especial or Pacifico.
©Chef Ana Isabel Garcia Moreno.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.By Peg Kern