Chef Ana’s Simple Ceviche
h2. July 2009
A delectable recipe from the wonderful Chef Ana of Hola Mexico!
* 1 lb. dorado or mahi-mahi cut into ½ inch cubes (or use other whitefish—the fresher the better!)
* 1 cup of fresh-squeezed lime juice to “cook” the fish in the refrigerator
* 1 white onion, chopped in ¼ inch squares
* 3 cups of Roma or Saladet tomatoes, chopped
* 1 cup of cilantro, chopped
* 4 jalapeno chiles in vinegar, chopped
* 4 tablespoons of fresh-squeezed lime for dressing
* ¼ cup of fresh-squeezed orange juice
* 2 tablespoons of olive oil
* ¼ cup sliced olives
* 1 ripe avocado cut in small cubes
* Salt to taste
For serving: Tostadas, Totopos or Saltines
Splash of Hot Sauce to taste
Take the fish and cut into ½ inch cubes.
Place fish in the cup of lime juice in a rectangular Tupperware. Make sure there is enough lime juice to cover the fish. Place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours (maximum of 5 hours).
Discard the lime juice in the Tupperware and mix fish gently with all of the other ingredients. Don’t over-stir or the fish may crumble.
Chef’s notes: Serve with saltines, tostadas (crisp corn tortillas) or totopos (crisp corn tortilla triangles). Add a splash of your favorite hot sauce, to taste. The ceviche goes very well with a lighter flavored beer like Modelo Especial or Pacifico.
©Chef Ana Isabel Garcia Moreno.