Our Top Cooking Vacations in Lazio Italy
Journey to Italy’s Lazio region on an authentic cooking vacation in Italy with The International Kitchen and experience the country like an insider.
Travel outside of the capital city of Rome to experience the stunning gardens of the Villa d’Este in Tivoli, the hilltop castle towns of Bracciano and Odescalchi, ancient Etruscan tombs and Roman cities, miles of coastline with pristine beaches, and so many authentic foodie experiences to satisfy any culinary traveler on a foodie tour of Rome and Lazio.
Lying just outside of Rome, to the northeast, lies the Sabina, part of the Lazio region. A place of rustic tranquility, fertile lands, and stunning views, Lazio offers the culinary traveler a way to experience authentic Italian life and enjoy the best of an enchanting and unspoiled land.
From the small medieval towns and monasteries nestled in the Apennine hills, to the stunning gardens and fountains of the Villa d’Este, to the wonders of the local cuisine, the Sabine region offers a plethora of culture, beauty, and cuisine to the savvy traveler on our cooking vacations in Lazio.
For many years now we have partnered with one of the best Lazio cooking vacations to offer unique, luxury culinary tours in Lazio. You will stay at a beautiful private villa, cook in the expansive teaching kitchen, and enjoy delicious Lazio cuisine and Italian meals created by your own hands and among new friends.
Travel to Italy with us on our cooking vacations in Lazio and discover a beautiful and authentic part of Italy.
Lazio Cooking Vacations Highlights and Details
Lazio is home to Rome but also so much more! From the Sabina countryside, you can visit the gardens of the Villa d’Este, hilltop castle towns, ancient Etruscan tombs, and more. The Lazio cuisine is based on pastas, breads, locally grown olive oil, meats, and produce, as well as fish from the lakes and the coast. Most famous of all are the pastas of Lazio–carbonara, griscia, amatriciana, cacio e pepe–which you can explore in our enogastronomic tours near Rome and Lazio, Italy.
Live – and dine! – like a local on our best Lazio food and wine tours and explore the countryside and small villages of Lazio, with their amazing bread, porchetta, pastas, cheeses, and wines.
- Late morning or early afternoon transfer from Rome airport (Fiumicino or Ciampino) or train station (Termini) to the villa.
- Time to relax and explore the villa and the grounds. Perhaps take a dip in the pool, or relax in the sauna before meeting your hosts and other culinary companions.
- This evening, a welcome dinner where you will experience real Roman hospitality and discuss the itinerary for the week.
- Breakfast in the dining room or, weather permitting, on one of the outdoor terraces or covered verandas overlooking the surrounding olive groves and countryside.
- Meet your chef and staff who will guide you through the week.
- Next, your first hands-on cooking lesson in the beautiful newly designed teaching kitchen. Learn how to prepare a typical Roman meal from start to finish, and then enjoy it afterwards for lunch.
- In the afternoon, visit the stunning castle of Palombara Sabina, the charming nearby medieval town. You will have a rare chance to visit the castle museum, not normally open to the public, and to enjoy the stunning views of Sabina region at sunset. Following a visit to the castle/museum, enjoy a dinner at medieval castle in Palombara Sabina.
- Return to the villa and overnight.
- Off to nearby the hilltop village of Tivoli for a visit of the open air market where you will learn to pick the freshest and best local ingredients for your next cooking class.
- Next, a visit of the amazing Villa d’Este. One of the prime examples of Renaissance architecture and of the Italian Renaissance garden, it is now a UNESCO world heritage site. The villa, although gorgeous, pales in comparison to the extensive and intricate gardens, complete with nymphs, grottos, and the world-famous fountains that have inspired designers, artists, and poets for centuries.
- Lunch in a local restaurant in Tivoli.
- Transfer back to the property for your second cooking lesson, this one featuring Tuscan cuisine.
- Dinner to follow based on your efforts out on the sunset terrace.
- Breakfast, and depart for a special day in Rome!
- Today you will experience a day-long adventure exploring the secrets of Ancient Rome. Your special guided tour of the city will feature places not normally visited by tourists, the Rome that was dear to the ancients and known by modern-day Romans. Your experienced guide will show you the art, food, history, and culture of the Eternal City. Lunch will be savored in Rome during the course of the day, and dinner will take place in a beautiful private roof top garden apartment overlooking the presidential palace and Trevi fountain.
- Transfer back to the villa and overnight.
- A leisurely breakfast after your full day of touring on Wednesday.
- Take a private transfer to the nearby region of Umbria for a winery visit and tasting. You’ll also get to enjoy lunch at a lovely wine estate.
- In the afternoon, take a stroll in the walled city of Orvieto, which is known for its stunning views and its impressive cathedral.
- Return to the villa to take part in a hands-on pizza making class using the property’s outdoor pizza oven. Dinner to follow based on your efforts.
- This morning, depart for a nearby olive grove and mill to learn about the local olive oil production, which started during ancient Roman times. You might also stop at a local dairy to learn about local cheeses. Return to the villa for an olive oil tasting, along with lunch.
- This afternoon, your last cooking lesson, in which you will employ all the skills you have learned during your other lessons to create a large graduation dinner, from antipasti to dolci.
- Light breakfast and goodbye to your hosts and friends, then transfer to Rome airport or train station.
Lazio Culinary Tours Trip Details
Included in the 6-Night Lazio, Italy Food & Wine Tours
6 nights accommodation at private villa
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 5 lunches
- 6 dinners
- Local wine with all included meals
Classes & Instructors
You will have 4 wonderful hands-on cooking lessons during your culinary vacation, including a special pizza class. Your guide for your Italian cooking lessons will be Chef Barbara, who studied at the Gambero Rosso cooking school and now teaches there; she also has appeared on an Italian cooking show. While you will of course learn the secrets of ‘la cucina romana,’ Roman cuisine, you will also enjoy a special Tuscan cooking class. The cooking classes will take place in the villa’s wonderful teaching kitchen, which boasts individual work stations, multiple cooking tops and ovens, and amazing views of the countryside on three sides so you will feel one with the land whose bounty you will be exploring. The classes will focus on recipes from professional chefs, ‘nonnas’ (grandmas), and special visiting chefs. You will use only the freshest ingredients, including the property’s own DOP-certified olive oil, and will learn to make everything from appetizers and pastas, to meat and fish dishes, to pizzas and desserts.
- Visit of the Palombara Sabina castle, including its museum
- Excursion to Tivoli to see the market and the Villa d’Este, a UNESCO world heritage site famed for its extensive and intricate gardens and fountains
- Insider’s day in Rome
- Excursion to Umbria including winery visit and Orvieto
- Visit to local food producers such as an olive oil producer and, when available, a cheese producer
- Transfers to and from Rome’s main train station (Termini) or airports (Fiumicino and Ciampino). Transfers will also be made to Rome hotels with central locations, if possible (some driving restrictions may apply).
- Massages, or trips to local Spas
- Liquor, cocktails, or special requests on wine
- Additional trips into Rome or to other venues, including shopping excursions (specialty shopping trips for custom tailored clothing can be made)
This charming villa in the Sabina region was built as a private summer home in the early 80’s and recently renovated for use as a villa rental and site of a culinary vacation. The house features eight elegant guest suites with en suite baths, a wonderful common living room for gathering, several outdoor verandas and terraces, and a magnificent teaching kitchen with glass walls looking out onto the surrounding countryside. The spacious rooms include air conditioning, free WiFi, and satellite TV. The grounds boast a large outdoor pool and extensive gardens and orchards, including the olive trees that produces the property’s excellent olive oil.
Lazio Foodie Vacation Travel Packages: Pricing & Tour Dates
Find pricing and dates for our wine tasting and culinary tours in Lazio below, and contact us for availability or to book your trip.
One-Week Cooking Vacation in Italy Pricing:
US$3500 per person based on double occupancy
- Add US$500 for single occupancy (use of a double room by 1 person)
- Subtract US$200 per non-cooking companion
- Add US$100 per person to upgrade to Upstairs room
- Add US$200 per person to upgrade to Upstairs suite
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
Balance payment due 90 days prior to tour start date. Questions? Please contact us!
Lazio Cookery Holidays Dates 2022
Please see sample weeks for our cooking vacations in Lazio below, and contact us to confirm availability. We can also offer private weeks for private groups wanting the ultimate cooking vacation in Italy!
March 27-April 2 (please inquire)
April 3-9 (please inquire)
October 30-Nov 5 (Olive Harvest)
November 6-12 (Olive Harvest)
November 13-19 (Olive Harvest)
We Can Help Plan The Best Food Experience Tours in Lazio, Italy
Explore the flavors of Rome on our Italy food tours in the Lazio region! Our cooking classes and food tours in Rome and Lazio will afford you the opportunity to take full advantage of the region’s bountiful harvests and ancient culinary traditions.Contact us today to plan your deluxe Lazio cooking tour and experience the trip of your dreams! Contact Us
You May Also Like Other Italian Food & Wine Tours
Please see other cooking vacations and tours in Lazio and Italy below, and don’t forget to take a moment to peruse all of the amazing cooking vacations we have available.