Culinary Vacations in Liguria: Super Sanremo!
This trip is eligible for our Worry-Free Booking promotion.
The Italian Riviera lies in the region of Liguria, which is a thin strip of coastline in the northwest bordering France. The region is narrow, sandwiched between the mountains and the sea. The result of this is a region that is an ideal destination for an Italian cooking vacation, with miles of coastline, beautiful beaches, perched villages, and a wonderful climate.
Liguria and the Italian Riviera offer plenty of amazing places to explore during your culinary tour, and one of the most known is the famed city of Sanremo.
Sanremo is located on the western part of the riviera known as the “Riviera dei Fiori,” or “Riviera of Flowers.” It was founded in Roman times, but it has now long been known as one of the most popular destinations on the Italian Riviera. Sanremo is famed for its gorgeous beaches and coastline, as well as its olive oil and flowers. In fact, this part of Liguria is known to produce some of the best olive oil in Italy, and Sanremo is called the “City of Flowers” for the gorgeous abundance of flowers grown there.
But perhaps Sanremo’s biggest claim to fame is the annual music festival, which has been held there since 1951. The festival (known simply as “Il Festival” by Italians) includes a European song contest. Among the many famed songs introduced at the Sanremo music festival is the beloved “Nel blu dipinto di blu (Volare),” first performed in Sanremo by Domenico Modugno in 1958.
The Italian Riviera in general, due to its location, has a climate that is ideal for the production of olives, wine, flowers, fruits, and vegetables. All of these are employed in the excellent cuisine that you will explore during hands-on cooking lessons as part of your Italian cooking vacaiton. From the delicious homemade pastas like pansoti to the famed pesto alla genovese, Ligurian food is both comforting and delightful. There is also, of course, an abundance of seafood caught in the coastal waters of the Ligurian Sea. In all, Ligurian cuisine can be said to be one of the most emblematic of Italian Mediterranean cuisine, and one of the most delicious!
If you want an in depth exploration of the Italian Riviera with us on a cooking vacation in Italy, check out our Taste of the Italian Riviera: Genoa & Portofino. It makes a wonderful companion foodie tour to your “Sojourn in Sanremo”!
Liguria Culinary Vacation Details
Our culinary vacations in Liguria in the beautiful town of Sanremo will introduce you to the best of Ligurian gastronomy. Our unique and authentic food and wine tours on the Riviera of Flowers include:
- 4-star hotel accommodations
- market tour in Sanremo
- excursion to an olive producer with tasting
- visit of the Riviera dei Fiori with wine tasting
- a cooking class in a private home
- meals as indicated
- and more!
See a day-by-day itinerary for our Liguria cooking vacation in Sanremo below. And keep in mind that we can also customize our Italy culinary tours!
- Welcome to the Riviera dei Fiori! Arrival in Sanremo for your culinary vacation in Liguria and check in to your boutique hotel. (Transfers are not included but can be arranged on request. However, the hotel is an easy taxi ride from the train station.)
- Welcome dinner this evening featuring local specialties.
- After breakfast at the hotel, start your Liguria culinary vacation by discovering the vibrant heart of Sanremo. A local food expert will lead you in a walking tour to visit family-run shops as well as the local food market to find the best seasonal ingredients. Then, head to a local home to prepare a delicious and authentic family meal. You will make homemade pasta and sauces to accompany it, as well as a typical Ligurian antipasto, main course, and dessert. Best of all will be the chance to cook and dine with a Ligurian family in their home.
- After lunch based on your efforts, time at leisure for shopping or exploring on your own.
- Dinner on your own and overnight.
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- Depart with your driver and private guide to discover the “secret” side of the Italian Riviera, including the so-called “Riviera dei Fiori” (Riviera of Flowers). Head to the village of Dolceacqua where you will see the high perched ruins of the Doria castle as well as the stone Ponte Romano bridge, which was immortalized by Monet in one of his paintings.
- Your culinary vacation in Liguria will continue in Apricale, a picturesque, medieval artists’ village perched on top of a hill. You will feel as though you have stepped back in time. Here you will enjoy a lunch that combines ingredients from the sea as well as the countryside.
- Next, head to a local wine producer to taste Rossese wine, one of the few red wines found in Liguria. Visit the panoramic vineyard and enjoy a tasting.
- Return to Sanremo, dinner on your own and overnight.
- Breakfast at the hotel, then meet your driver to explore the inland valley beyond Imperia on your culinary vacation in Liguria. This area that is famed for its production of olive oil.
- You will head to a secluded village where you will meet Cristina, one of the most traditional producers of olive oil in the area. She will show you her olive groves and will teach you about the production of the oil, which you will also learn to taste and evaluate. During your walk you will also learn about the typical drystone walls that characterize the landscape of this part of Liguria.
- Finish with a visit of an oil mill and a special tasting of local products for lunch.
- Return to Sanremo, dinner on your own and overnight.
- Breakfast at the hotel, and departure. (Transfer not included but can be arranged on request.)
Included in our 4-Night Sanremo Culinary Vacation in Liguria
Four nights in a sea-view room at a 4* hotel
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 3 lunches
- 1 dinner
Classes & Instructors
Your cooking class in Sanremo will be a wonderful experience preparing a full meal with a local family in their home. In addition to pastas and sauces, learn to make an Italian antipasto, main dish, and dessert.
- Food market tour in Sanremo
- Tour of the Riviera dei Fiori on day 3, including wine tasting
- Visit to olive producer and olive mill, with tasting, on day 4
Transfers are not included but can be arranged on request for an additional cost. However, your hotel will be within an easy taxi ride from the Sanremo train station.
- City tax, paid locally at your accommodation
- Meals not indicated
Your home for your Italian cooking vacation in Sanremo will be the Hotel Lolli Palace (or similar). This 4* hotel is a historical hotel in a refined Liberty-style building and overlooks the sea. It is just a few steps from the main pedestrian area of the city center. The sunny, renovated, sea-view rooms feature en suite baths, wood floors, WiFi, flat-screen TVs, air conditioning, hair dryers, and other amenities.
Liguria Culinary Vacations in Sanremo Pricing & Dates
Find pricing and dates for our culinary vacations in Liguria below, and contact us for availability or to plan your trip.
Sanremo Culinary Vacation Pricing:
April, May, June, September & October
(excluding Easter & Gran Prix de Monaco)
4-Night Sanremo Cooking Vacation Pricing
US$2650 per person based on double occupancy
- Add US$230 for single occupancy (use of a double room by 1 person)
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
This trip is eligible for our “Worry-Free Booking” promotion*, which means your deposit is fully refundable up to 31 days prior to the trip start date. Questions? Please contact us!
*See our terms & conditions for details and exclusions.
July & August supplement: please inquire
Single occupancy supplement: please inquire.
Sanremo Culinary Vacations in Liguria Tour Dates
Our culinary vacations in Liguria in Sanremo and the Riviera of Flowers are available April through October for a minimum of 2 people. If you are interested in an off-season culinary tour in Liguria, please inquire. Sample dates follow, but other start dates are also possible. Please inquire for July & August dates and pricing.
We recommend you avoid the following dates:
Easter (April 17, 2022)
Gran Prix de Monaco (May 26-29, 2022)
Sample dates follow, other start dates also possible.
April 17-21 (Easter)
May 30-June 3
July & August – Please inquire
There are no reviews at this time.