Traditional Cuisine Cooking Vacations in Piedmont, Italy
For those seeking a wine tour of Piedmont, these names are legendary: Barbaresco, Barbera, Nebbiolo, and most famous of all, Barolo. The Langhe area of southern Piedmont, the land of some of Italy’s most prized wines, has become a well-known destination for those wanting northern Italy wine tours. Whether you are a wine connoisseur or a dilettante, Piedmont is a great spot for cookery courses featuring authentic Italian cuisine and of course for wine tours of Piemonte.
Less known, however, are the other charms you will discover on our Piedmont tours: the number of stunning medieval castles, the awesome sight of the snow-covered Alps, the genteel hospitality of the residents, the breathtaking views of steep hills and valleys, blanketed with vineyards.
The cuisine of the Langhe area of Piedmont that you will explore on your Piedmont food and wine tours encompasses the best of Italian cooking and embraces the land’s proximity to France. The emphasis is placed on starters and main courses, while first courses feature such staples as home-made pasta al ragù (meat sauce), and melt-in-your-mouth gnocchi in a creamy sauce flavored with the region’s famous cheeses. Not to be missed on your Piedmont food and wine tour are the second courses, such as the traditional Brasato al Barolo, or veal marinated and cooked in Barolo wine, and desserts such as the earthy torta di nocciola (hazelnut cake) in chocolate sauce.
Any Piemonte wine tour must include winery visits and tastings, which round off the perfect mix of culinary and cultural experiences you will have on our Piedmont wine tours and cooking vacations.
Piedmont Food and Wine Trip Details
Our Piedmont wine tours will teach you more about the famous wines of Piedmont. For instance, did you know that Barolo and Barbaresco are classified denominazioni, meaning wines made of certain grapes in a certain and well-defined geographical area, while Barbera is itself a grape variety? So both Barolo and Barbaresco are made from Nebbiolo grapes, while Barbera grapes will be found in wines such as Barbera d’Alba, Barbera d’Asti, Nizza, and more. Dolcetto, another name you’ll hear often on our Piedmont wine tours, is also a grape variety that can be used to make a variety of wines. These are just some of the fun facts you’ll learn on our Piedmont wine tours!
Check out our sample day-by-day Piedmont Italy vacation itinerary – the best in this amazing region! And keep in mind that we can customize our Piedmont vacation packages to suit your tastes.
Please note that depending on days of the week and season, some activities or order of events may change. Cooking classes can be either in the morning followed by lunch or in the afternoon followed by dinner.
- Arrival at Malpensa airport or Milan train station and transfer to the Langhe; check in to your charming B&B accommodations.
- Dinner on your own at the accommodation or in the village.
- Explore the magic of the uncontaminated Upper Langa to start your culinary tour of Italy: a panoramic tour through Diano, Montelupo, Borgomale, Cravanzana, and Bossolasco, as far as Murazzano. Visit to a cheese producer to see the pasture, sheepfold, milking room, and cheese-making and aging process, followed by a tasting lunch.
- Return to your accommodations to continue your culinary tour of Italy with the first lesson on “the cuisine of the Langhe:” the lady who runs your accommodations will show how a typical menu is prepared (one starter, one pasta dish, one main course, one dessert); the dishes prepared during the lesson will then be tasted afterwards at dinner, paired with local wines.
- Today will be spent discovering the growing area of Barolo on our Italy wine tours. Barolo is one of the most highly- prized wines in the world: enjoy a wine tour plus tasting in a winery where the “King of wines” is made.
- Time on your own to visit the charming towns of Barolo and Monforte.
- Lunch on your own.
- In the afternoon, tour of Grinzane Cavour Castle, its Country Life Museum, and the Regional Enoteca with traditional wines carefully selected by the masters of the Order of the Knights of the Truffle and Wines of Alba.
- Dinner on your own.
- Depart for Barbaresco wine country, next stop on our Italy wine tours in Piedmont, and travel through the towns of Barbaresco, Treiso, and the characteristic old village of Neive. You may wish to stop and walk through the towns, or to have another wine tasting at one of the local enotecas.
- Visit the tower of Barbaresco (entrance ticket included), and take the lift up to the panoramic terrace overlooking the Langhe and Roero hills.
- Lunch on your own.
- Experience a guided visit to a Barbaresco wine cellar or an ancient distillery, followed by a wine tasting.
- Dinner on your own at the agriturismo or in the village.
- Breakfast, followed by a very special day. Transfer to Alba for a morning in the historic capital of the Langhe, with its numerous enotecas and places where good food and wine are an intrinsic part of the culture. Time to explore on your own.
- Lunch on your own in Alba.
- Transfer to your accommodations for your second cooking lesson on “the cuisine of the Langhe.” The chef will show how a second typical menu is prepared; the dishes prepared during the lesson will then be tasted afterwards at a final dinner, paired with local wines.
- Breakfast, then transfer to Malpensa airport or Milan train station. We hope you enjoyed your food and wine tour of Piedmont!
Included in the 5-Night Piedmont Cooking & Wine Tasting Tour
5 nights accommodations at a B&B with private en suite bathroom
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- Tasting lunch in the Upper Langa
- 2 meals (lunch or dinner) following cooking lessons, local wine included
Classes & Instructors
Your 2 cookery courses are given at the agriturismo where you will be staying. The chef will share not only their recipes, but also their love for the Piedmontese cuisine, land and culture. During each class you can visit the orchard and garden of the agriturismo for in season produce to use during the class. (Please note classes can be either in the morning followed by lunch or in the evening followed by dinner, depending on availability).
- Foodie tour of the Upper Langa with stop at a cheese producer
- Wine tour into the Barolo area with wine tasting
- Visit of Grinzane Cavour Castle and its Regional Enoteca
- Wine tour into Barbaresco wine country, including the tower of Barbaresco and a winery visit with tasting
- Excursion to Alba
- Round-trip transfers from Milan Malpensa airport or Milan train station
- Driver services for excursions, as per itinerary (please note the driver is not a guide, and you will be free to explore these towns and villages on your own)
- Entrance fees for Grinzane Cavour Castle (with audio guide) and Barbaresco Tower
Your accommodations will be at a charming small and family-run agriturismo with just 3 bedrooms (each with en suite bath), a didactic orchard, a winery, and typical restaurant. It is located in a cozy village in the heart of Piedmont.
Piemonte Wine and Food Vacation Packages: Pricing & Tour Dates
Find pricing and dates for our Piedmont Italy cooking vacations and wine tours below, and start your journey by calling us and booking your food & wine trip.
5-Night Piedmont Culinary Holidays Pricing:
based on 2 people
US$3600 per person based on double occupancy
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
Balance payment due 60 days prior to tour start date. Questions? Please contact us!
Single occupancy rate: please inquire.
Please inquire for special pricing for 4 or more people.
5-Night Piedmont Food and Wine Tour Dates
Our Piedmont wine tours and cooking holidays are available any week for 2 to 12 people.
Samples dates follow, please inquire for availability.
October 30-November 4
November 27-December 2
Samples dates follow, please inquire for availability.
January 29-February 3
February 26-March 2
April 29-May 4
May 27-June 1
July 29-August 3
September 30-October 5
October 28-November 2
We Can Help Plan The Best Luxury Food and Wine Tour of Piemonte
If you are looking for the best Italy wine tours and cooking vacations, Piedmont might just be the place for you! It is a superlative gastronomic destination that you will discover during your hands-on cooking classes and food tastings. Contact us to learn more about planning a food and wine tour Piedmont.Contact us to learn more about planning a food and wine tour in Piedmont. Contact Us
You May Also Like Other Italian Cookery and Wine Tasting Vacations in Piedmont
Our Piedmont food and wine tours will expose you to a cuisine that combines the richness of the Italian tradition with influences from nearby France, and an Italian cooking vacation in Piedmont means fine wines, excellent cheeses, truffles, hazelnuts, and succulent meats. Join us in one of our favorite regions for an Italian cooking vacation sure to surpass your wildest dreams!
Authentic Italian Cooking Vacation in Piedmont
Located a short ride from the thriving city of Turin, the medieval town of Casalborgone is the perfect place to experience a different side of Italy during our authentic Piedmont food and wine tours. Get to know the locals — including Francesca and her family at your B&B accommodations, learn about Piedmontese cuisine with 2 hands-on cooking classes, tour local towns, and of course, experience the famous wines on a Piedmont wine tasting.
Best Food & Wine Tours in Italy - Lazio Cooking Vacations
What wines can I try during the Piedmont international wine tour?
Piedmont is the land of some of Italy’s most prized wines— Barbaresco, Barbera, Nebbiolo, and most famous of all, Barolo—all of which you can explore on our amazing Piedmont wine tours.
What is the Piedmont region best known for? What can I do in the Piemonte region?
While it is true that the area is known primarily for its gastronomic delights, which is what makes it such an ideal location for our Piedmont wine tours and Piedmont culinary vacations, the region also boasts a captivating history. Piedmont was for centuries part of the House of Savoy, and it played a pivotal role in the unification of Italy in the second half of the Nineteenth Century. Come experience stunning medieval castles, views of the snow-covered Alps, vineyard-covered hills, and the genteel hospitality of the locals, who will welcome you into their homes and hearts and teach you to love this truly remarkable land during our Piedmont food and wine tours.
What is the best season to experience wine tastings and tours in Piedmont?
Piedmont is a beautiful region to visit year-round, but by far the spring and fall seasons are the best time to enjoy a Piedmont food and wine tour. If you travel in the late fall and even into December you may also be able to experience some of the local truffle festivals.