Greek Cooking Odyssey
Spend a week on the island of Poros during the cooking vacation in Greece! Learn the local cuisine from a professional chef and live a slice of Greek Island life.
The ancient Greeks were among the first to discover the benefits of adding herbs and spices to their food. This process was used not only to enhance the tastes, but also provided medicinal benefits. Greek food is still a unique mix of fresh, seasonal ingredients and a generous blend of herbs and spices such as thyme, rosemary and oregano, which grow all over Greece. Greece is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea and has one of the largest coastal areas of any country in Europe, and for this reason fish is an integral part of Greek cuisine. Fresh seasonal vegetables are also a significant element in traditional Greek cooking. And Greek food would not be Greek without the olive oil, as olives are grown and olive oil produced in many parts of Greece.
Your culinary vacation in Greece will be very friendly and personal. Participants will have fun while experiencing real Greek culture, cooking and delicious foodall during this unique cooking school vacation on a beautiful, unspoilt Greek Island!
Greek Cooking Odyssey Itinerary
Due to local events such as seasonal festivals, holidays, etc., the specific excursions and the order of events are subject to change.
- Transfer from Athens airport to your accommodations.
- Katerina Sakelliou will welcome and meet you anytime after midday; you have the afternoon free to explore Askeli, relax by the pool or enjoy the pleasures of a swim in the clear blue sea.
- In the evening you will be a guest at the welcome dinner at Odyssey center; you will be introduced to some of the foods that you will learn to cook during your stay.
- After breakfast you will explore the menus and recipes you will learn during you lessons.
- Lunch will be served around 12:30 PM.
- Following, time at leisure to take a stroll into Poros or a local walk followed by a swim at Love Bay.
- Around 2:30 PM your first cooking lesson begins, followed by a late afternoon drink or a small siesta.
- Return around 5:00 PM to cook the final stages of dinner which will be served in the balmy and relaxed evening atmosphere of the Odyssey Center.
- Early breakfast.
- Walk into Poros Harbour to visit the fish market where you will pick out and select a range of ingredients for today’s lesson.
- This will be followed by a visit to a local cafe for coffee and Greek pastries.
- After lunch at the Odyssey, the early part of the afternoon is free for individual activities.
- Mid-afternoon, begin preparing the evening meal from the fish selected at the market along with some freshly prepared Greek salads, fish sauces, roasted vegetables and herb dressings.
- Enjoy dinner at the Odyssey.
- Today will include a visit to the island of Hydra, with lunch provided.
- Return to Poros, where you will have a choice of dining at the Odyssey center or at a local tavern.
- Breakfast followed by a free day to explore Poros Island, mainland Greece or to just relax by the beach or pool.
- Lunch will be provided at Odyssey around 1:00 PM.
- Dinner tonight will be either at the Odyssey center or at a nearby local restaurant around 8:00 PM.
- After breakfast, an opportunity to visit either your hosts’ lemon or olive grove to learn about the use of both ingredients in Greek cooking; a picnic lunch will be provided.
- On returning to Odyssey in the mid-afternoon, begin your next cooking lesson, a Greek classic meal that might feature such items as Mousakka, Pistachio or Souvlaki.
- Dinner will be served at the Odyssey.
- Depending on the season, today you will make some local visits to learn about the important seasonal nature of ingredients in Greek cooking. This may include collecting local herbs and flowers or visiting local farms.
- Lunch will be provided either at Odyssey or in a picnic fashion.
- Tonight your final cooking lesson and a wonderful farewell dinner — a true Greek experience with many surprises!
- Breakfast followed by transfer to Piraeus Port and then a private taxi to airport or hotel. (To arrive at the airport by 10 a.m., depart from the island at 6:30 a.m.)
- You could also book additional nights at very special rates.