Spain Culinary Vacation Recipe: Cod in Almond Sauce
One of the best parts of our cooking vacations in Spain is the freshness of the ingredients and bold flavors them employ. Cod is a popular fish in Spain, and is frequently found salted. Here the chef uses fresh cod.
Try this wonderful recipe from Chef Clive, perfect for Fridays in Lent, or for anytime you crave a delectable fish dish.
Bacalao en salsa de almendras (Cod in almond sauce)
- 750g (1.6 lbs) cod steaks
- 70ml (about 1/3 c.) extra virgin olive oil
- Plain flour for dusting
- 20-25 blanched almonds, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 sliced stale bread, crust removed
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1/2 tsp saffron
- 50ml (about a 3 1/2 T) Fino or dry white wine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium ripe tomato, peeled, seeded
- 100ml (about 3 1/2 oz) fish stock
- Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
2. Dust the fish lightly with flour. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and brown the fish on all sides. Transfer to a casserole dish.
3. Using the same oil, fry the almonds, garlic, parsley and bread until garlic is golden brown and bread is crisp.
4. Transfer to a blender and add the saffron and fino to make a paste.
5. Fry the onion in the same pan until softened and add the tomato for a few minutes.
6. Mix in the paste into the pan and simmer for a few minutes. Add the fish stock.
7. Season with salt and paper and pour it onto the fish.
8. Bake for about 15 minutes. Fish should flakes easily but not be dry.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best itineraries.
Learn more about all of our foodie trips in Spain and around the world.By Peg Kern