November 11, 2022
Our French Foodie Getaway culinary vacation in Tours, France, is fast becoming a favorite. This short stay in one of Europe's most charming and picturesque…Read This Post
Originally featured as our April 2008 recipe of the month, Sorrento Style Gnocchi have long been one of our favorites, and a dish that our culinary travelers love to learn on their cooking vacations to Italy.
This recipe comes straight from Italy and our best-selling Mediterranean Cooking Experience. We hope you will make this traditional creation in your own kitchen. But if you have any questions…come to Italy and ask the chefs yourself!
Prep time: 60 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Cook method: Sauté, Boil, Bake
For the Cherry Tomato Sauce
For the Gnocchi:
To Plate the Gnocchi:
1. First, wash the potato. Boil in salted water until cooked (about 40 minutes). Peel the potato, mash it and leave to cool on the work surface.
2. In the meantime, prepare the sauce. Wash and cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters.
3. In a frying pan put the garlic and the olive oil and fry until golden.
4. Add the tomatoes to the frying pan with half of the fresh basil and a pinch of salt.
5. After approx. 10 minutes this delicious sauce will be ready.
6. Next prepare the gnocchi. Put the mashed potato on the center of your work station. Make a well in the center of the potato, then add part of the flour all around, put the egg yolk in the well, salt, olive oil. Mix lightly to obtain a dough. Do not overwork the dough or use too much flour or your gnocchi will be tough.
7. Roll a portion of the dough into a “sausage” and then cut into small pieces. Toss them in a sieve to remove excess flour. Cook the gnocchi in boiling salted water for approx. 1 minute, or until they rise to the water surface, then drain them.
8. In a frying pan, add the tomato sauce prepared before and the gnocchi. Mix while adding the mozzarella, already cut in small pieces, until melted. At the last moment add basil and some parmesan. Put in an oven proof dish, add more parmesan on top and bake your gnocchi for about 15 minutes at 350F.
Come to the Amalfi Coast on our Mediterranean Cooking Experience and learn the joys of Italian cooking for yourself!
Learn more about why we love our Mediterranean Cooking Experience culinary tour.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.