Provence is a foodie’s delight. The Mediterranean diet is packed with fresh produce, olive oil, and of course seafood, and many of these tasty treats are found at the local open-air markets as well as the shops of artisan food producers.
But if you’re looking for something even more quintessential Provence, try this recipe from Chef Mark of our Cuisine and Culture of Provence cooking vacation. According to Mark, “In essence, this sandwich is a Provencal summer salad layered onto grilled bread that can be held in one hand, with a napkin around it, and a cool glass of rosé in the other hand. ”
He recommends enjoying the sandwich during the sunny midday hours in the shade of a tree. “Siesta and gurgling town fountain in the main sqaure optional!”
Tartine Jardinère (Provencal Vegetable Sandwich)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Cook method: Grill
- 6 cloves of roasted garlic
- 1/3 cup of capers
- 1 cup pitted green or black olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp pepper
- olive oil
- 1/2 loaf bread, either baguette or ciabatta
- 4 slices eggplant
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- 2 hardboiled eggs, sliced
- 4-6 anchovies, rinsed
- salad greens
1. First, make a tapenade by combining the garlic, capers, olives, herbs de Provence, lemon juice, and pepper in a food processor. Add the olive oil in a stream (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup). This will make extra tapenade, which you can use in a variety of recipes! (You can also try this recipe for black olive tapenade!)
2. Peel and de-seed the peppers, brush with olive oil and grill them. Grill the eggplant in the same way.
3. Brush the bread with olive oil, then grill on both sides.
4. Assemble the sandwich by spreading one side with tapenade, then layering the ingredients. Give it a drizzle of olive oil to finish as well as a sprinkle of black pepper or red pepper flakes – and voilà!
By Liz Hall
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.