The cuisine of Puglia is both simple and tasty, and many of their dishes in this sunny part of Italy are inspired by the sea as well as the countryside, with wheat, olive oil, and vegetables some of the most popular of ingredients. This particular recipe epitomizes rustic Apulian cuisine, and it comes from the kitchen of Chef Chiara, who leads cooking classes on her family-run masseria during A Culinary Adventure in Puglia.
Orecchiette are the “ear-shaped” pasta that are probably the most well-known part of Apulian cuisine. They can be served with many different toppings, but here are paired with asparagus and guanciale, which, if you have trouble finding it, can be substituted with pancetta.
Learn more fabulous recipes like this during a cooking vacation in Italy.
Orecchiette with Asparagus and Guanciale
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cook method: Sauté, Boil
- 350 g (12 1/4 oz) orecchiette pasta
- 150 g (5 1/2 oz) asparagus tips, already boiled and chopped
- 200 g (7 oz) Guanciale
- 300 g (10 1/2 oz) cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red pepper
1. Pour a few tablespoons of oil into a pan and then fry the chopped onion.
2. To the pan, add the guanciale, as well as the tomatoes and asparagus.
3. Season this sauce with salt, pepper, and red pepper. Thin with a little water and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
4. In a separate pot, boil pasta in salted water until al dente and drain.
5. Toss the pasta in the pan with the sauce, and finishing by adding the chopped parsley.
6. Serve the pasta immediately.
Cook with Chiara in Puglia on one of our favorite cooking vacations!
And learn more about Puglia in our blog, including:
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.