We sure are excited about our new Lisbon cooking class! We’ve been working with Chef Artur for our longer Portugal cooking vacations Flavors of Portugal and Lisbon Food Tour, but now we can offer his class as a one-day experience for our culinary travelers!
What are “petiscos”?
Your private hands-on cooking class will feature “petiscos,” which are sort of the Portuguese version of tapas. Like tapas, these are small plates that are meant to be shared – and that are meant to be tasted with other petiscos. During your hands-on Lisbon cooking class you’ll make 4 to 5 petiscos which you will then enjoy for lunch. With wine of course!
The day starts with a visit to the local market with Chef Artur in the off-the-beaten pah Campo Pequeno district. This is the neighborhood that houses the bullring – called the Campo Pequeno – and is a charming and authentic quarter. Let Chef Artur explain the various seasonal ingredients as you look over the fruits, vegetables, olives, fish, seafood, and cured meats and cheeses.
After the market visit, head to Artur’s home for your cooking class. This private experience is for small groups only, with a maximum class size of 4.
Read more about what to eat in Portugal.
My mother recently took the class with Chef Artur, and it was the favorite part of her trip! What did they make?
- Roasted almonds
- Fried eggs
- Cogumelos fritos com vinagre e menta (Fried mushrooms with vinegar and mint)
- Tomate no forno (Braised tomatoes)
- Oven baked sea bass
- Leite creme (Portuguese custard)
I asked Mom what she most loved about the class. “What I most loved about the class? Artur and his son, who is also a chef and who joined us that day. They were so warm and so friendly, we felt like we were enjoying the day with family. I also loved that we cooked a variety of dishes. We got to eat some as we went, and then we sat down together to finish the meal. We could have stayed all day, it was just that fun and that special. Of all the things I did and saw during my trip to Spain and Portugal, this was my favorite.”
Read more about why we love Portugal as a destination.
To stimulate your appetite, here was one of my Mom’s favorite recipes!
Leite Creme (Portuguese Custard)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15
Cook method: Simmer
- 90 gr caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 25 gr corn starch
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 liter low fat milk
- 1 lemon peel
1. In a small cup or bowl dissolve the corn starch with a bit of milk, mixing until smooth.
2. Place the rest of the milk, the lemon peel, and the cinnamon stick in a pan and heat on medium until it boils. Remove from heat for a few minutes.
3. In a clean bowl mix the egg yolks and sugar and whisk well.
4. Slowly add the milk to the mixture, stirring constantly.
5. Add the corn start and whisk again. Remove the lemon peel and cinnamon.
6. Return the mixture to the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is thick enough to cover the back of a spoon.
7. Poor the custard into a 6-portion serving dishes or into 6 ramekins and set to cool, either at room temperature or in the fridge.
8. Before serving, sprinkle even with caster sugar and use a blowtorch to caramelize the sugar until it forms a crispy coating.
Read more about my Mom’s trip:
- Things My Mom Needs to Know Before Her Trip: The Basics
- Things My Mom Needs to Know Before Her Trip: Getting Ready to Go
- Things My Mom Needs to Know Before Her Trip: The Arrival
You can also pair it with other Portuguese and Spanish recipes, including:
If you’d like to cook with Chef Artur, check out our Private Lisbon Cooking Class or our Flavors of Portugal cooking vacation. If you’d like to book either or if you’re interested in a custom trip, just contact us to get started!
And if you’re looking for more than a one-day class but don’t have a week at your disposal, we also offer a wonderful 3-night Lisbon Food Tour. It’s the perfect way to experience Lisbon for yourself, including a fabulous and authentic cooking class with Chef Artur!
By Peg Kern
Search our blog for more chef interviews, recipes, and destinations features.
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best culinary vacations.