April 14, 2021
Ramadan is the holy month for Muslims around the world, a time of fasting, prayer, and charity. The dates of Ramadan change each year (moving…Read This Post
Perfect for a summer day or a summer party – as if you need an excuse to make this delectable sweet dish – this fresh fruit gratin is flavored with rosemary, which gives it an intriguing earthy quality.
Gratins are French by tradition, and have a lightly browned crust formed by bread crumbs, cheese, or as in this case, the custardy mixture that is poured over the top. Although a gratin of potatoes is perhaps the most famous type of gratin, you can use this method to prepare many different dishes, including sweet ones!
This recipe features tropical fruits such as pineapple and banana, but you can use different fruit than what is listed – whatever types of fruit you enjoy! We find this recipe pairs wonderfully with some freshly made ice cream, and of course a fine dessert wine.
Enjoy this wonderful Provencal recipe and don’t forget to checkout all of our amazing cooking vacations in Provence!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Cook method: Sauté, Broil
1. Bring the fresh cream to boil, then infuse some fresh rosemary.
2. Peel all fruit and dice.
3. Using a frying pay, sauté all diced fruit in butter with the sugar until the fruit is slightly caramelized. Place into a gratin dish, or a shallow baking dish.
4. Mix the egg yolk well with the sugar until light and frothy. Slowly add the infused cream and pour mixture into the gratin dish.
5. Glaze in a hot oven under the broiler for a few minutes, being careful not to burn it.
6. Decorate with fresh mint, red currant, etc. and enjoy!
Cook with us in France on an authentic French cooking vacation.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.