French Recipe for Crepes
One of our favorite street foods in Paris is the always popular, ever-versatile crepe. Crepes can be eaten time of day, served savory or sweet, eaten with a knife and fork or folded into a paper napkin to go. This particular recipe from Chef Eric of some our popular Paris cooking classes works wonderfully as breakfast or dessert.
- 1 lb (450 g) strawberries
- 4 oz (120 g) raspberries
- 1/3 C. sugar
- 6 oz (170 g) dark chocolate, 60% cocoa
- 4 oz (120 g) heavy cream
- 2 eggs at room temp.
- 1 1/4 C. warm whole milk
- 1 oz (30 g) melted butter
- 3 oz (90 g) all purpose flour
- 1 oz (30 g) sugar
- Butter for cooking the crepes
- Optional zest from one orange
Prep time: 75 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Cook method: Griddle
1. Make the crepe batter an hour before cooking. First beat together the eggs, milk, and melted butter.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Make a well, and gradually whisk in the liquids from the center of the well, keeping the mixture lump-free, but not over mixing, which results in rubbery crepes. Set aside.
3. Clean all the fruit, halving the strawberries, and then add all the berries. Also add the sugar and pulse a few times in a mixer or food processor to obtain a chunky compote.
4. Melt the chocolate and cream in a double boiler to make simple ganache, then hold at room temperature.
5. Make the crepes one by one: Melt butter to coat a shallow skillet on medium-high heat. Add just enough batter to coat the bottom of the skillet (make the batter as thin as possible by swirling the batter around the pan). When the bottom is lightly browned (do not over cook), flip to cook the other side.
6. On each crepe, spread 1 Tbsp chocolate ganache and 2 Tbsp berries. Cream whipped with a big of sugar and vanilla is optional (but delicious!). Top with more berries and, if desired, the whipped cream.
By Peg Kern
Learn more about all of our France culinary vacations. If you have questions about these or any of our culinary trips, don’t hesitate to contact us!
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.