French Recipe for Crème Brulée and Wine Pairing
We’re featuring a recipe and wine pairing from the Chateau de Berne in the heat of Provence, who for many years offered cooking classes to our culinary travelers. It also fits in perfectly with our top travel memories theme of the week, since one of my top travel memories was of my first trip to Provence back in 2005, when I was lucky enough to visit the property. I can truly say that it took my breath away, from the beauty of the surroundings, to the incredible food, to the impeccable service!
What makes this recipe and wine pairing so fun? The dish, Chef Jérémy (“Jamie”)’s classic Crème Brulée, pairs perfectly with wines from the estate, such as one of their highly respected rosés. Try it with a Grande Récolte Rosé de Provence or the Cuvée Hermann Rosé de Provence.
Crème brulée à la Vanilla et Fruits Rouges et Noirs
(Vanilla Crème Brulée with Red and Black Berries)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Cook method: Bake
- 1/2 Liter whole milk
- 1/2 Liter heavy cream
- 6 eggs
- 150 g caster (superfine) sugar (about 3/4 cup)
- 4 vanilla pods
1. Separate the yolks and the whites in two bowls.
2. Beat the 6 egg yolks with the sugar for 5 minutes until very pale and thick.
3. Cut each vanilla pod in half lengthwise and throw them into the milk and cream in a pot, stir until it’s almost boiling.
4. Set aside to cool for few minutes, strain, then whisk together with the yolk-sugar mixture.
5. Mix well and pour into individual ceramic cooking dishes or ramekins and cook in a hot bath (“bain marie”) in a preheated oven at 225°F for about an hour (depending on the size of the dishes). The sides should be set, the center slightly jiggly.
6. Remove from the oven, let it cool down, then place in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Prior to serving, sprinkle the top with a bit of brown sugar and use a blow torch to caramelize the top.
7. Put red and black berries on the top and voilà!
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.