June 16, 2021
One of our culinary travelers' favorite activities when they participate in our Italy cooking vacations is making cheese. This is not part of every itinerary:…Read This Post
Here is a recipe from the lovely and talented Sinead, of our cooking vacation Discover Normandy. Sinead is a real gem–infinitely knowledgable in the kitchen, and a natural teacher. An Irish transplant to Normandy, her raison d’être is to show her students the simple, authentic life of rural Normandy.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Cook method: Simmer
1. Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Add the garlic, then the leeks. Cook them gently for about 15 minutes, taking care not to burn them. (If you like you can add a little grated carrot for color).
2. Put the lid on the saucepan, so that the garlic and leeks steam gently.
3. Add the cream, salt and pepper, mix thoroughly, and heat gently (do not let boil).
4. Slice the scallops horizontally (they’ll cook more quickly). Melt some butter and a drop of olive oil in a large frying pan and add the white part of the scallops, cooking gently over a low heat only for a couple minutes. Quickly add the roe (the orange part of the scallop) and cook for 1 minute more.
5. In the meantime, reheat the ‘fleurons,’ if you are using them, in a medium oven.
6. Stir the scallops into the leek and cream mixture. Add some chopped chives.
7. Serve the scallops with basmati rice, and the fleurons placed on top.
Want to cook with Sinead in person? Find out more about our Discover Normandy cooking vacation!
Discover more recipes from Normandy, including:
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.