If you’re looking for something creative and unique to accompany your main dish, look no further! Flan di radicchio al balsamico, or radicchio flan with balsamic vinegar, is a flavorful flan straight from an Italian kitchen. It is not a traditional flan in that egg is not the main ingredient. The bitterness of the radicchio is mellowed out not only by being cooked, but by the sweetness of the balsamic vinegar, the onions, and the ricotta. It also makes a wonderful starter course.
If you like this recipe, check out our Tuscany cooking vacations.
Flan di Radicchio al Balsamico
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cook method: Bake
- 2 bunches of red radicchio (chopped)
- 2 white onions
- 7 onces (sheep) ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 oz. butter
- 6½ tbsp. of white wine
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp. of breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
1. Chop the onions and sauté them in butter. Once they become transparent, but not browned, add the chopped radicchio. Stir in the vinegar and then the white wine. Cook slowly for 10 minutes.
2. Whip the ricotta cheese in a bowl with the parmesan cheese, nutmeg and the egg. Add the cooked radicchio and onion mixture, and mix all the ingredients together with breadcrumbs until you get a dry mixture.
3. Butter six small molds or ramekins and fill with the mixture you have just prepared, stopping about ½ inch from the top.
4. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Serve them when they are hot from the oven with a garnish of fresh tomato and basil. Buon appetito!
Travel with us to Tuscany and enjoy more traditional Italian recipes.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.