Culinary Vacations in Umbria
This trip is eligible for our Worry-Free Booking promotion.
Umbria is Italy’s spellbinding heart of natural beauty and is acclaimed for its culinary authenticity and genuineness, even by Italians themselves. Spoleto – your home for our classic Italy culinary tours and fabulous artistic adventures – is a center of culture for its many attractions, from its festivals to its ancient sites and cuisine. Often described as a little piece of heaven fallen to earth, it’s a town that truly embodies the history of Italy at every turn. The cuisine here is rustic, and while sometimes referred to “peasant cooking,” it truly is from the land, with ingredients like farro, wild herbs, truffles, and lentils, as well as a plethora of cured meats. It is a perfect destination for our culinary vacations in Umbria.
Explore this wonderful town during our Italy culinary tours with a guide by your side, well-known artist and activist Richard di San Marzano. Richard has created events and organized trips for many famous actors and artists. He will help you discover the secrets of Umbria, both culinary and otherwise!
Highlights of our Culinary Vacations in Umbria
As one of our most unique Italy culinary tours, Secrets of Spoleto and Umbrian Cuisine offers wonderful cooking classes and a week’s stay in one of our favorite towns. Our Secrets of Spoleto culinary vacations in Umbria include:
- 4 cooking classes featuring authentic Italian recipes
- deluxe accommodations
- walking tour of Spoleto and its sites
- visit to Bevagna and Montefalco
- olive mill visit
- visit to Bevagna and Montefalco with wine tasting
- meals as indicated
Spoleto Umbria Culinary Vacation Trip Itinerary
Order of activities may vary based on season and dates booked.
- Arrive at Spoleto train station and transfer to the town center to check into Palazzo Dragoni.
- Begin your trip with a welcome aperitif with your host, Richard di San Marzano, followed by a gourmet welcome dinner.
- In the morning, embark on an orientation walk to get to know the ancient town of Spoleto. Visit the Duomo, famous for its facade and Fra’ Fillipo Lippi’s final fresco cycle; as well as the market square that dates back to 200 BC. You’ll also have time to stroll the maze of enchanting lanes that characterize Spoleto as one of Italy’s most beautiful hill towns.
- Enjoy a light seasonal lunch al fresco, weather permitting.
- In the afternoon, begin your first hands-on cooking class with Chef Alfredo by making fresh pasta by hand. You’ll also create an entire Italian menu.
- Dinner to follow based on your efforts in the magnificent candle-lit 500-year-old dining room of your hotel.
- Following breakfast, embark on a trip to one of Italy’s finest olive producing regions. This high valley region features stunning small hilltop towns and villages in a dramatic verdant landscape. Visit an 1800 year old olive tree and marvel at the extraordinary hand-made stone terraces along the steep hillsides.
- Take part in your second hands-on cooking with Angela in her restaurant. The lesson will focus on rustic mountain cuisine and the products popular in the area such as farro, lentils, free-range meat, river trout, wild herbs, and honey.
- Lunch to follow based on your efforts.
- In the afternoon, it’s time to visit one of Umbria’s oldest olive mills to learn about one of Italy’s most important ingredients: olive oil. Discover the secrets of olive oil, how it is produced, the different qualities of olive oil, and how to taste and select it. Along the way your host will also share what life is like at an olive mill.
- Return to Spoleto in the late afternoon for some time on your own.
- If you’re still hungry, dinner on your own.
- Start the day with a visit to La Rocca, a military fortress that dominates the valley of Spoleto with its museum, frescoed rooms, and massive viaduct. Take a scenic walk and discover the castle’s extraordinary history.
- Lunch on your own.
- In the afternoon, meet Chef Angelo for a memorable cooking class at a local restaurant where the dishes will be a surprise (but will be based on the season)!
- Dinner to follow the class based on what you made — and perhaps more! The seemingly never-ending feast will be served by Mama Proietti’s son.
- This morning, take a country stroll through a scenic vineyard on your way to the tiny medieval walled-town of Bevagna, which is interestingly characterized by how history has been incorporated over time. Roman sites coexist with modern buildings.
- Next, it’s on to Montefalco, a town famous for its wine. Experience a wine tasting at one of Italy’s most prestigious wine makers, along with some food pairings for a light lunch.
- Dinner tonight is by private invitation at Casa San Marzano, the historic familiy home of your host, Richard di San Marzano. The home is featured in the book A Game Called Survival: The Biographical Story of Betty di San Marzano and Her Children in Wartime Italy (Ian Douglass Ried, 1980. It was also the location where Michael Adams wrote his critically acclaimed book, Umbria Faber and Faber (1964).
- After breakfast, enjoy some time on your own to shop and stroll in Spoleto. Perhaps sit in one of the piazzas with a cappuccino and people watch.
- Lunch on your own.
- In the afternoon, return to the kitchen for one last hands-on cooking class, this time led by Chef Eros Patrizi who leads master classes for cooks of all skill levels.
- Dinner to follow in Chef Eros’s elegant Michelin-starred restaurant “Tempio del gusto” – a magical experience!
- Breakfast followed by check out and transfer to Spoleto train station.
Spoleto Umbria Cooking Holidays Trip Details
Included in Our 6-Night Italy Culinary Vacations in Umbria
6 nights accommodations at a historical residence in Spoleto
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 3 lunches
- 5 dinners
- Wine with all included meals
Classes & Instructors
Your 4 hands-on cooking classes will demonstrate how art and history connect with the gastronomy of a place. Your cooking classes will be lead by different chefs or cooks, including:
- a master class with a Michelin-starred chef, Eros Patrizi
- ‘Mamma’ Proietti, owner of a popular local restaurant, who will share her family’s recipes, all seasonally based
- the young chef of your hotel, Alfredo, for a class on homemade pasta and traditional Italian food
- a true mountain country cook named Angela, whose traditional lore and skills are remarkable, for a class featuring local products such as farro, lentils, free-range meat, wild herbs, and honey
- Walking tour of Spoleto
- Visit a picturesque olive oil producing area with olive mill visit
- Visit of La Rocca and its viaduct, one of Spoleto’s signature sites
- Visit to Bevagna and Montefalco with wine tasting
- Arrival and departure transfers to/from Spoleto train station
The magnificent hotel of Palazzo Dragoni is a family-run property located in the heart of Spoleto. The oldest part of the building dates back to the 900s, and was once an ancient medieval tower. Many of the renovated rooms offer sweeping panoramic views across the valley, with views of the hill towns of Montefalco, Assisi, and Trevi, and landscapes of ancient olive groves. All 14 rooms at the Palazzo are well appointed, spacious, and richly decorated with antique furniture and comfortable beds. Modern amenities include satellite TV, minibar, hair dryer, telephone, Wi-fi, safe, and air conditioning. (Depedending on availability, accommodations at the historic Palazzo Leti might be proposed instead.)
The Palazzo Leti was the residence of the noble Leti family and is located in the heart of Spoleto. The gorgeous villa and grounds are now an elegant villa hotel offering beautiful rooms and first-class service. The 12 rooms maintain the original look of the building and feature en suite bathrooms, safe, mini bar, air conditioning, satellite TV, and WiFi, as well as beautiful views.
Culinary Vacations in Spoleto Umbria Pricing & Dates
Find pricing and dates for our Secrets of Spoleto culinary vacations in Umbria below, and contact us for availability or to plan your trip.
Spoleto Umbria Culinary Vacations Pricing:
6-Night Spoleto Cooking Vacation Pricing
US$3300 per person based on double occupancy
- Add US$350 for single occupancy (use of a double room by 1 person)
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
This trip is eligible for our “Worry-Free Booking” promotion*, which means your deposit is fully refundable up to 31 days prior to the trip start date. Questions? Please contact us!
*See our terms & conditions for details and exclusions.
Secrets of Spoleto Umbria Culinary Vacation Tour Dates
Our Italy culinary tours in Spoleto can take place any week you choose for 2-6 people. Sample dates follow, please inquire.
Itinerary generally starts on Sunday, but other start dates also possible.
January 30- February 5
February 27-March 5
March 27-April 2
May 29-June 4
June 26-July 2
July 31-August 6
August 28-September 3
September 25-October 1
October 30-November 5
November 27-December 3