Best Cooking Tour in Morocco
Embark on a tantalizing journey through the vibrant colors and exotic aromas of Morocco with our Moroccan cooking tour. Many food experts say that Morocco has the best cuisine in Africa, perhaps even in the top five of the world. From the narrow streets in the ancient medinas to the Berber villages down south, Morocco is a mysterious and alluring destination and should definitely be on your must-visit list. While experiencing this diverse yet culturally rich country, your senses will be stimulated; while learning, cooking, and tasting the flavorful tagines, salads, and patisseries of Morocco.
During your culinary journey, you’ll have the opportunity to visit iconic cities and historical sites such as Casablanca, with its stunning architecture and breathtaking ocean views. Lose yourself in the maze-like streets of Fes, where centuries-old traditions and craftsmanship thrive. Explore the royal city of Rabat, with its blend of modernity and historic charm. Along the way, during cooking classes, you’ll discover the diverse ingredients that make Moroccan cuisine so special, from aromatic herbs such as fragrant saffron and earthy cumin to delicate rose water and sweet dates.
Our Moroccan cooking tour is a true feast for the senses, blending the flavors, aromas, and sights of this enchanting country into an unforgettable experience. Come discover the magic Moroccan food and immerse yourself in its culinary treasures. Your taste buds will thank you, and your memories will last a lifetime.
Morocco Culinary Trip Details
Embark on an enchanting culinary journey that weaves through the heart of Morocco, where four distinct cooking experiences await you. Delight in the ancient art of preparing dishes in a traditional ‘dar’, and immerse yourself in the rustic charm of cooking over smoky charcoal in an authentic Berber village. These culinary adventures will be helmed by an array of gifted chefs, each an expert in the vibrant symphony of Moroccan cuisine. Our master teachers, fluent in English and French, warmly welcome you to their government-licensed establishments, ensuring a seamless and deeply enriching learning experience. Let this culinary expedition not only ignite your senses but also your passion for cooking.
- Upon arrival in Casablanca, the economic capital of Morocco, you will be met by your driver/guide.
- Enjoy a driving visit to Morocco’s largest city and visit any areas of interest (optional).
- Depart for Rabat, the capital city and residence of the King, and visit La Tour Hassan, Mausoleum and the King’s Palace.
- Dinner will be served at a local restaurant; your first taste of Moroccan cuisine.
- After breakfast, depart for Meknes for a tour of this small but interesting Imperial city. Wander through the small alleys into the medina, where you will be welcomed into a traditional house (Dar) for your first Moroccan cooking class focusing on traditional food.
- The tour then heads to the 2000-year-old Roman ruins of Volubilis, where you’ll get a picture of life during the Roman Empire.
- Finish your journey to Fes, with dinner tonight at your riad.
- After breakfast, begin your guided tour of Medina, one of the world’s largest walled cities. Explore the narrow streets lined with fresh fruit, mounds of spices, intricately woven Berber carpets, and many other art objects of Morocco. A visit to the King’s Palace, the tanneries, and potters are just a few places you may experience.
- Lunch will be in a traditional restaurant in the Medina.
- After lunch return to your hotel, and time for a rest before dinner at a local restaurant.
- After a traditional breakfast in the riad, you will have a full-day cooking class in Fes.
- Visit the local vegetable market to purchase the necessary ingredients for the day’s meal.
- Return to the riad to learn the art of Fes cooking. Lunch to follow based on your efforts.
- Dinner will be served in one of the local restaurants of the medina.
- After an early breakfast, depart for Marrakech. The beautiful drive will take you up into the Middle Atlas Mountains and along the base of the High Atlas Mountains.
- Once in Marrakech, you will check into your hotel and depart for the famous Djemaa el-Fna, one of the center attractions of Marrakech. Coming alive at night with the local storytellers, entertainers, and mouth-watering barbeque pits, the square is enticing and well worth a visit. A quiet cup of tea on the terrace of an adjacent café provides a spectacular aerial view of the bustling square.
- Return to the riad for dinner and oovernight.
- After breakfast, a guided tour of Marrakech, the southern pearl of Morocco. Discover the Palace of the Bahia, the Saadian Tombs, and many other hidden treasures.
- After lunch, continue to the magnificent Koutoubia Mosque and the town square.
- The tour will conclude with an exploration of the souk (market).
- Dinner will be served in the famous square at a local restaurant.
- Overnight at the riad.
- After a traditional breakfast in the riad, depart for a small Berber village where you will have a cooking workshop and will learn to cook as the Berbers do.
- Whether you are learning to bake bread in a clay oven, cooking tagine over a charcoal fire, or brewing mint tea, this experience is nothing like you have ever done before. Back to the basics of cooking!
- Return to the riad for dinner and overnight.
- Today visit Morocco’s most popular and picturesque fishing town, Essaouira, located on the southwest coast of Morocco. Many of the country’s wood carvers and artists make Essaouira their home.
- Lunch on your own.
- In the afternoon, your final cooking lesson, where you’ll learn to cook another wonderful traditional Moroccan meal.
- Tonight’s dinner will be served in the riad.
- Your last day of travel will take you back to Casablanca following breakfast.
- Depart Essaouira for Casablanca with a stop at El Oualidia.
- Drive along the coastline to El Jadida to visit the citadel and see the underground cistern.
- Continue on to Casablanca, where you will spend your last night in the country. Dinner will be served in the hotel.
- Breakfast and check out.
- Transfer to the airport for departure.
Morocco Culinary Tour Details
Included in the 9-Night Morocco Cooking Tour
9 nights accommodations in riads and four-star hotels (5-star upgrades quoted on request)
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 3 lunches (beverages not included)
- 9 dinners (beverages not included)
Classes & Instructors
This tour includes four Morocco cooking classes, each totally different in their styles; from cooking in a traditional dar (house) to cooking over charcoal in the Berber village. Your cooking workshops will be taught by a number of different chefs, each with vast experience in Moroccan culture and cuisine. Each of our teachers speaks fluent English and French, and their establishments are licensed by the government.
- Visits of: Casablanca, Rabat, Meknes, Volubilis, Fes, Marrakech, Essaouira, El Oualidia, and El Jadida
- Market visits
- Excursion to a Berber village
- Roundtrip transfers upon arrival and departure from/to Casablanca airport
- Transportation with an English-speaking driver/guide
- Professional tour guide in historical cities
- Beverages with lunches and dinners
The Moroccan Flavors tour is based on accommodations in 4* hotels and riads. It is possible to upgrade to a mix of 4* and 5* hotels on request (please inquire about the cost).
In Casablanca, your accommodations will be in the 4* Hotel Club Val d’Anfa (or similar). The Val d’Anfa enjoys a wonderful location near the city center in and a design between innovation and tradition. The spacious rooms feature en suite baths, mini-bar, flat screen TV, free internet, safe, air conditioning, and more. (If unavailable a comparable property will be substituted.)
In Rabat stay at the Hotel MGallery or Dar Zouhour.
In Marrakech stay at the Riad Chergui or the Riad Adore.
In Fes stay at the Riad Myra, in the heart of the medina. Built in the early 1900s, the Riad was renovated to form a beautiful, traditional guesthouse maintaining the original architecture and style. There is a large traditional patio, a hammam, a restaurant, a lounge, and a terrace. (If unavailable a comparable property will be proposed.)
In Essaouira, your accommodations will be at the Riad Dar l’Ouissa. A traditional riad, the 24 rooms surround an interior courtyard, and the decor is both traditional and elegant. (If unavailable a comparable property will be substituted.)
Culinary Tours of Morocco Pricing & Dates 2023-2024
Find pricing and dates for our culinary tours in Morocco below, and contact us for availability or to start planning your trip.
Moroccan Culinary Tours Sample* Pricing:
US$5825 per person based on double occupancy
- Add US$1195 for single occupancy (use of a double room by 1 person)
- Subtract US$450 per person when booking 4 or more people
*Pricing can vary by season and specific dates booked. Please inquire!
Please inquire for 2024 pricing and for cost of optional upgrades.
30% deposit due to confirm booking.
Balance payment due 60 days prior to tour start date. Questions? Please contact us!
Two-day Sahara extension also available, please inquire.
Please add 10% for Christmas and New Years departures.
Pricing for 1 person on a private trip: please inquire.
Morocco Cooking Vacations Dates
Available any week for a minimum of 1 person. If possible we recommend you avoid Ramadan (March 23-April 21, 2023).
The itinerary can also be customized to be shorter or longer.
Please note: If you cannot arrive early on Day 1, we advise that you arrive the day before and we will arrange the airport transfer and hotel. Please inquire about the price for the transfer and hotel night.
Response from Karen at The International Kitchen: "Thank you so much for your comments and we are so glad you enjoyed your trip! Ã‚Â We appreciate the feedback about the class in Essaouria and we will certainly follow up, as well as your suggestion about shopping."Ã‚Â