Your home for this unique Scottish cooking vacation is Dalriada, once the kingdom of ancient Scotland, which is located in the unspoiled coastal region known as the Mid Argyll. Stay near Dunadd, the historical capital of Scotland, where Scottish kings used to be crowned, and experience the wild and wonderful nature of rural Scottish life in this unique Scottish Highlands area. Your excursions will vary by season but will include such fun trips as guided whiskey tastings, visits to the Scottish islands, excursions to castles, forts, stone circles, and more.
Scotland has a wealth of natural products that you will use to create your meals: produce from the rich mountains and glens, wild game from the moorlands, venison from the mountains, salmon and trout from the rivers, shellfish of all kinds from the sea, and beef and lamb from the Highland herds. You will use these ingredients and more to create a wide variety of delicious feasts featuring traditional and modern Scottish dishes.
Undiscovered Scotland Trip Details
Included in the 7-Night Trip
7 nights accommodations in private cottage
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 7 lunches
- 6 dinners
- Beverages with all included meals
Classes & Instructors
Your 4 cooking classes will be informal and held in a traditional Scottish family-style, fully equipped kitchen. The courses are limited to maximum four cooks and will be led by your hostess, Jane, who has many years’ experience in traditional and modern Scottish cooking. Jane’s passions are rooted in the Scottish countryside, which she uses to inspire her dishes.
- 2 half-day excursion, determined at time of booking and chosen among the following:
- Kilmartin Valley, Templewood stone circle , Dunadd Fort
- Castle Sween (the oldest castle in Scotland) and Kilmory Chapel
- Cairnbaan and Achnabreac ancient rock carvings
- Gulf of Corryvreckan whirlpool boat cruise passing by the islands of Scarba and Jura
- Inveraray town and Inveraray Castle
- Farm visit – meet & feed Scottish lambs (April and May only, subject to availability)
- Seaweed foraging – explore the shore to collect seaweed to incorporate into some of your recipes (not suitable for those with mobility challenges)
- Forage for wild mussels along the shore line (not suitable for those with mobility challenges)
- Forage for wild garlic and make your own wild garlic pesto (not suitable for those with mobility challenges)
- Trout fishing (available only through September)
- Forest walk to Barlusgan nature reserve, where beavers have been reintroduced into Scotland
- Visit to Crinan with a leisurely walk followed by tea and scones
- 1 full-day excursion, determined at time of booking and chosen among the following:
- Island of Luing , Easdale Island and Atlantic Islands centre
- Island of Mull and Tobermory Whisky distillery
- Island of Mull and Duart Castle
- Town of Oban, including visit to Oban whisky distillery and Dunstaffnage Castle OR to Dunollie Castle estate
- Town of Oban and visit to Inverawe Estate and falcon display
- Non-landing scenic cruise to the island of Colonsay with dinner on board
- Non-landing scenic cruise to the island of Islay with lunch or dinner on board
- Six-mile walk through the ancient Kingdom of Dalriada and Kilmartin Valley (not suitable for those with mobility challenges)
- Cycle through the Crinan Canal/Kilmartin Valley area (easy nine-mile route, though not suitable for those with mobility challenges)
- Eight-mile walk exploring the Crinin canal and Cairnbann (all flat, though not suitable for those with mobility challenges)
Please note we may make recommendations about the excursions based on the dates you choose, and for weeks with multiple travelers the first to confirm will get to choose the excursions.
- Arrival from Glasgow* airport: earliest airport pick up time is 10:30 AM.
- Departure transfer to Glasgow* airport. (Please try to avoid flights that leave before noon.)
*If you choose to fly in and out of Edinburgh there are shuttle services that you can take between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Please inquire for details.
- Local guided walks for the collection of wild foods to be used in the cooking classes
- Whiskey tasting session
- Engraved personalized whiskey flask