Trance di Tonno alla Calabrese (Tuna Steaks Calabrese Style)
Calabrian cuisine is, not surprisingly, full of amazing seafood. Calabria is the tip of Italy’s “boot,” and as such as miles and miles of coastline. Like most Italian regional cuisine that you can explore on our Italy cooking vacations, in particularly in the south, it is characterized by a few, simple, pure ingredients combined to make a delicious dish.
During this time of year, we think there is nothing better than a light and savory fish dish! We asked our very own Chef Rosanna from Capo Vaticao in Calabria to offer an easy and delicious regional fish recipe for you to make at home!
Cook in southern Italy during our Culinary Adventure in Puglia.
Trance di Tonno alla Calabrese (Tuna Steaks Calabrese-Style)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 6 minutes
Cook method: Pan fry
- 4 tuna steaks (weighting approximately 800 grams)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsps. lemon juice
- sprig of fresh bay leaves
- 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Place the tuna in a pan, sprinkle the tuna with three tablespoons of olive oil, strained lemon juice, salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Add two or three bay leaves, crushed garlic cloves and cover with saran wrap. Allow the tuna to marinate in the refrigerator for at least six hours, occasionally turning the tuna.
3. Remove the tuna from the marinade ensuring that all the liquid is gone. Cook the tuna in a frying pan with four tablespoons of olive oil, together with the lemon which has been cut into wedges, for approximately six minutes.
4. Sat and pepper to taste and serve.
Check out some more great recipes:
- Monkfish with Mussels and Curry Cream Sauce
- Mussels with White Wine
- Asparagus with Spring Onions and Parmigiano
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.