Provencal Spring Chicken in Lime Marinade
Just in time for spring, this simple and delicious recipe comes from one of our wonderful cooking vacations in Provence. Provence has long been a favorite destination for our culinary travelers who are seeking excellent hands-on cooking classes, fresh, local ingredients, and amazing sites to see.
In fact, we think Provence is one of the most beautiful places in all of Europe. Whether you are strolling through the region’s many gardens, olive groves, or vineyards, whether you are perusing the produce and artisanal products at one of the weekly open-air markets, or whether you are dining out at a Michelin-star restaurant or casual brasserie, Provence offers a true abundance of beauty and flavor.
Spring Chicken in Lime Marinade
Prep time: 15 minute
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Cook method: Bake
- 3 spring chickens (small, young chickens)
- chopped herbs : taragon, parsley, basil, chives
- 6 limes
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tbsp or up to 1/4 cup heavy cream (heavy whipping cream)
1. Cut the chicken in two equal sized halves and place on a dish for marinating.
2. Sprinkle most of the herbs all over the chicken (save some for later)
3. Make the marinade with the wine, juice of 4 limes, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and marinate the chicken.
4. Peel the two other limes and set aside.
5. In a pan sauté 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the carrots, onions and a pinch of herbs until lightly browned. Then transfer them to an oven baking dish and spread out as bedding for the chicken.
6. Pour the marinade off the chickens into a sauce pot and set aside. Arrange the marinated pieces of spring chicken on the vegetables.
7. Bake in the oven at 425°F for 20 to 25 minutes.
8. Reduce the marinade (to 2/3rds), and add the heavy cream (how much depends on how creamy you would like the sauce.)
9. When the spring chickens are baked, add the sauce just before serving. Garnish with slices of the remaining 2 limes.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.