Originally featured as our recipe of the month way back in May 2005, this smoked salmon mousse is still a go-to recipe at our house over a decade later. For many years chef Samira Hradsky taught our culinary travelers French and international cuisine in her lovely Paris home. She has since moved to the US, but we remember fondly the cooking classes and meals we had with her in Paris.
This recipe for Smoked Salmon Mousse with Leek Sauce is surprisingly simple but will wow your friends.
Smoked Salmon Mousse with Leek Sauce
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cook method: Bake
Ingredients for the mousse:
- 7 oz smoked salmon
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
Ingredients for the Leek Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small leek, white and very light green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 large potato, about 4 ounces cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup whipping cream.
1. Using a food processor, process all the mousse ingredients until creamy.
2. Pour mixture into buttered dish or in buttered ramekins. Place dish or ramekins in a larger dish containing water. Water should cover bottom half of dish or ramekins.
3. Bake in preheated oven (325°F) for 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Remove from oven, remove mousse from water and let cool at room temperature before placing in the refrigerator.
5. To make the leek sauce: heat butter in a medium size pot, add leek and sauté for a couple of minutes.
6. Add potatoes and water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook until potatoes are cooked. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
7. Using a blender or food processor, pure mixture until soft and creamy. Add cream and mix well. Cool at room temperature.
8. Serve with cold leek sauce, or with chopped fresh dill or lemon zest, along with bread or crackers.
You can also put a layer of seafood in the middle of the mousse – simply layer thinly sliced salmon, scallops, or prawns across the top of half of the mixture, then cover with the rest of the mousse.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.