May 6, 2021
French President Emmanuel Macron has announced the reopening plans for France, and June 9th has been pinpointed as the date international travel to France can…Read This Post
Chef Katherine of our Colors of Burgundy French culinary tour loves the fresh flavors of spring, and in particular this pairing of scallops with asparagus. Try this recipe with a glass of white Burgundy wine, or learn to make it yourself on a Burgundy wine tour or cooking vacation in France.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Cook method: Pan fry
1. In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the peas until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and drop in an ice bath to seal their color.
2. In a small pan, melt 1 tsp butter and sweat the shallots until they are soft but not browned.
3. In a food processor add the peas, shallots, ginger, cream, stock, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth and strain to remove any solids.
4. Blanch 24 of the asparagus in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, then drain and refresh in ice water.
5. Thinly slice the remaining 12 pieces of asparagus lengthwise on a mandolin slicer and set aside.
6. Just before serving, warm the pea coulis, whisking to a froth.
7. Pan fry the blanched asparagus in a bit of butter, then pan fry the scallops for 1 minutes on each side.
8. To serve, place 3 stalks of asparagus carefully in the center of each plate, tips facing the same way. Top with 3 scallops and decorate with a pinch of lemon salt and a twist of the raw asparagus. Put the pea coulis on the plate in a decorative pattern with a spoon or plastic bottle.
Would you like to cook in Burgundy on a France cooking vacation? Stay at Katherine’s renovated farmhouse and enjoy Burgundy wine tours? Contact us and we can make it happen!
By Peg Kern
Recipe copyright Katherine Frelon, Shop. Cook. Eat.
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best culinary tours.