June 16, 2021
One of our culinary travelers' favorite activities when they participate in our Italy cooking vacations is making cheese. This is not part of every itinerary:…Read This Post
Easter may be over, but lamb is a popular dish year round in Paris, and not just because it can be easily found in the city of light’s many food markets and on our Paris food tours! Whether it’s roasted, sous vide, or braised, the meat is succulent. Lamb shoulder is also a dish that Chef Frederic loves to share with his guests during our Paris cooking classes. As with many dishes in France, Chef Frederic recommends pairing it with seasonal vegetables. This recipe of his, which you can learn during our cooking vacations in Paris, serves four people.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Cook method: Braise
1. Brown the pine nuts in a pan.
2. Let the rocket leaves soften for one minute in a pan with a little olive oil.
3. Peel and chop the onion.
4. Grate the sheep cheese.
5. In a bowl, combine the cream cheese and egg. Add the onion, pine nuts, sheep cheese, salt, and pepper.
6. On the flat shoulder of lamb, spread the mixture, and then fold the sides of the lamb toward the center. Roll up the lamb and tie.
7. Sprinkle the roast with olive oil. Salt and paper and let brown on all sides in a casserole dish. Add the bones, about 5 cups of hot water, and cook 15-20 minutes. Turn occasionally.
8. Remove the bones and let it stand for five minutes before carving.
9. Serve immediately with seasonal vegetables and the cooking juice.
* * *
Chef Frederic offers both a market visit & Paris cooking class as well as a dessert class in Paris.
By Liz Hall
Other dinner dish blog posts
Italy (Sicily): Marsala Wine
Italy (Veneto): Risotto
Greece: Ladolemono Sauce
Italy (Lucca): Tortelli Lucchese
Italy (Puglia): Ran-Away Fish Soup
Search our blog for more chef interviews, recipes, and destinations features.
Learn more about all of our Paris food tours.