Braciole, or Rolled stuffed steak, is a delicious southern Italian recipe from our from one of our top-selling Italy culinary tours A Mediterranean Cooking Experience. This Amalfi Coast cooking vacation is one of our very favorites and has been for many years. The boutique hotel is gorgeous and intimate (just 11 rooms and suites), the teaching kitchen is a perfect place to learn the secrets of Southern Italian cuisine, and the staff is incomparable. Add to that the natural beauty of the Amalfi Coast region itself with its rugged coastline, quaint towns, views of the Mediterranean, and this is pretty much heaven on earth and a perfect spot for an Amalfi Coast cooking vacation.
Braciole Recipe from an Amalfi Coast Cooking Vacation
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Cook method: Braise
- 2 thin slices of steak
- approx. 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1 clove of garlic
- approx. 1 Tbsp pine-nuts
- approx. 1 Tbsp raisins
- a teaspoon of grated parmesan
- 1 can puréed tomato
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¾ cup of white wine
- salt & pepper
1. Roll or pound the steak until thin – the thinner the better!
2. Finely chop the parsley and garlic with the pine-nuts and raisins, then mix together with the grated parmesan, salt and pepper until well combined.
3. Spread the filling on the pieces steak, then roll the steak and fix it in place with some toothpicks or butcher’s string.
4. Brown the rolled meat in a saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil and a chopped onion. Then add white wine and after 5 minutes the tomato purée. Cook over a very low heat for about an hour.
Serve this delicious dish if possible with a southern Italian wine, such as a Greco di Tufo if you like whites, or a robust red made from the Aglianico grapes.
Want to learn this Italian recipe on a cooking vacation in Italy? We have amazing Italy food and wine tours to satisfy any traveler, including our wonderful Amalfi Coast cooking vacation, Mediterranean Cooking Experience. Contact us for details or to book!
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best culinary tours.